Dr Jack Kevorkian RIP

I believe a man has the right to die. No need for a slow painful death. Death with dignity. How do other FMs feel about this issue?

Dr. Jack Kevorkian, the medical pathologist who willfully helped dozens of terminally ill people end their lives, becoming the central figure in a national drama surrounding assisted suicide, died on Friday in Royal Oak., Mich. He was 83.

In arguing for the right of the terminally ill to choose how they die, Dr. Kevorkian challenged social taboos about disease and dying while defying prosecutors and the courts. He spent eight years in prison after being convicted of second-degree murder in the death of the last of about 130 ailing patients whose lives he had helped end, beginning in 1990.

I have to disagree - working as a palliative care pharmacist, there is another side to the story that Dr. Kevorkian supporters often overlook.

There have been advances in the management of terminal condition symptoms that mean most patients do not have to undergo a painful death. This can allow a patient to spend time taking care of their affairs and preparing family for death that a quick suicide may preclude.

Of course any person has the right to take their life, but if the law provides for physician or medically assisted suicide, it opens up a Pandora's Box for those involved. There have been a number of cases reported in the Netherlands where physician assisted suicide has been going for a number of years, that clinically depressed people, otherwise healthy have been euthanized. There is also now a brisk suicide tourism business going on in Switzerland as well. What standards and who will determine if a person qualifies for assisted suicide? A person who has lost his wife and children in a tragic accident and feels life is no longer worth living - depressed and unable to snap out of it for 2 years, should be allowed to seek physician assisted suicide?

Also euthanasia would stop hinder or stop further research in palliative care - as the attitude would be why bother?

This subject is not as black and white as many feel. I have seen several patients who change their minds about ending it all once their pain and suffering is relieved and go on to have meaningful farewells with their loved ones before dying. Is this more dignified than a quick suicide? I feel that it is.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have to disagree - working as a palliative care pharmacist, there is another side to the story that Dr. Kevorkian supporters often overlook.

This subject is not as black and white as many feel. I have seen several patients who change their minds about ending it all once their pain and suffering is relieved and go on to have meaningful farewells with their loved ones before dying. Is this more dignified than a quick suicide? I feel that it is.

I'm one of the guys who have overlooked this. If the pain is manageable then there is no need to exit. Thanks for bringing this to our attention RX!