Places with unexpectedly cheap food

A place I go pretty much l every day on Bukhao across the street from LK Metro entrance beside a gold shop (just look for the huge sign of the gold shop ) 35 baht for chicken rice , very much a hole in wall but quite good ,very cheap and nice central location, oh and another great sign of its value is that Thais eat there not just Falang

• Upvote 2

Heard about that Big C , how would I get there from say 2nd rd and soi Honey , don't suppose I can baht bus it can I ?

Now EA is talking about BigC Extra, not to be confused with BigC. There is only one Extra and it's on Pattaya Klang, on the left after you cross over Third Road heading towards Sukhumvit. You could take a bus to Pattaya Klang, then get on another heading from Beach road towards Sukhumvit, best check with the driver that that is where he is heading as he may turn onto Soi Buakhao. Just be careful he does not think you are hiring him as a taxi or it will cost you about 150 B. The bus usually pulls in between Second road and August Suites.

If I put my pedantic hat on (when do I take it off?) I would offer the comment that the word "unexpectedly' in the title is all relevant. No offence to the OP but why would cheap food be a surprise in a third world country? I understand you are referring to the difference to what we expect to pay & the nice surprise that comes with finding it is cheaper than we thought it would be.

I have spent too much time in Asia to get excited about cheap food. I have been sick enough times to suspect anything that appears underpriced. I worry about why it is cheap. Is it old, is it off, has it been rescued from a dumpster? And what is the real price anyway? I remember being told on an early visit that 10 baht meant a lot to one of the less attractive bar girls. I asked what could they do with 10 baht. The answer back then - they could feed themselves for 3 days. 

Now that's cheap! 

Santa Fe steakhouse within, Big C, South Pattaya

200 gram New Zealand Rib Eye beef steak set with bowl of soup + ceasar salad - 250b or thereabouts.

300 gram Australian T-Bone steak set, 300b or thereabouts

Soda 39b on top but its some dodgy no name Coke copy.

Quality of the imported beef was excellent.   Soup was OK and salad had way too much dressing, but other than that, quite OK and would be happy to eat there again.     Seems like a chain/franchise so there may well be others dotted around.  

For the quality of the beef, it really is unbelievable value for money.    Total bill for the two of us who had each of the above was 600 odd baht.     

I think I saw a Santa Fe at Big C Extra as well, but hey great tip thanks , just curious can you order to a certain "done-ness" as a medium rare Rib-eye is pretty much my favourite thing on earth to eat

Yes you can. In the menu are even pictures of how they define it.   I had medium and was slightly bloody. My GF (who had the ribeye) always wants it well done and it was perfectly done.       Never noticed a Santa Fe at Big C Extra but will have to pay more attention next time as i am there once a week picking stuff up in Home Pro.  

• 1 month later...

About 10 days ago my GF went out with friends and came home about 5.15 am with a whole load of food.......so breakfast was a feast and she asked me how much I thought each bag of food cost......now I have a good idea of the prices and said 45 Baht......

She proudly announced that it was only 20 Baht and she bought it just around the corner.Naturally I told her it was because she is Thai and a Falang would pay at least 45 Baht.

The nitty gritty is that it is a typical Thai "restaurant/food stall" that opens at about 4.30 am and by 8 am is sold out.

We go there regularly and even on my own I pay 20 Baht a meal...... a good sized packet of rice enough for the 2 of us is 10 Baht so we generally buy 3 assorted meals ( all have been good quality and delicious) and a bag of Rice which we cannot finish in one sitting .........total 70 Baht.

It is situated in 3rd Road between Chaloem Phrakiat Alleys 10 and 8 fairly near Pattaya Klang.See Map Red/Orange Pin.

My advice would be to go there between 5 am and 7 am you will have a wide selection to choose from.........Aroy!

post-212-0-53535900-1400578285_thumb.png

• Upvote 2

In Phnom Penh on Corner of Street 136 and Street 5, which is the hear of the hostess bar area there is a place on the corner where you can get rice with pork for 1 USD. It also comes with a small bowl of broth. Other dishes such as fried rice are more expensive.