Svay Pak

DownLoLarry

• 1 year later...

I had heard about this place back in the day (2002) when I was traveling in Phnom Phem. As I like to see the raw reality of things, I went to check it out.

It was a creepy place with a lot of dodgy (underage) trade. I don't generally judge anyone but that place is wrong. Would not recommend anyone go there.

It may have been cleaned up since then, but it's probably still not a place worth going to.

What is so insane about it? Is it really that dangerous?

Well, for a start, there is absolutely nothing there for us to enjoy - nor was there ever..

In the past, it was a notorious brothel village full of indentured (trafficked) Vietnamese girls. The ones on show were in the 15-18 age bracket. But most of the brothel houses also had rooms full of kids available for sex too.

After being low key and mainly for Khmer punters in the mid 90s, word gradually got out in the late 90s (the power of the new internet) and more and more Europeans plus coachloads of Japs descended. At this point, the NGOs and the international news media got very interested.

Up until then the local police had been very happy to take bribes from the brothels and turn a blind eye but with CNN etc doing stories showing the depravity going on under their noses, the cops had to do something.

Well about ten years ago, the place was cleaned up...mostly. These days there are anti-trafficking and NGO projects there and any single man turning up and sniffing about the place will be noticed, assumed to be a sick f*ck and photographed.

So if you want your photo in a police file, then go to Svay Pak.

• Upvote 2