Name that country

JaiDee

JD 

I will go for Bratislava and then Mecca. The Saudis have absolutely destroyed any historical fabric that Mecca used to have. Knocked down Ottoman fortresses and countless tombs as they implement their screwed up Wahhabi interpretation of Islam as any sort of idolatry is forbidden. Replaced it with tasteless monstrosities such as the clock tower which is over 600 metres tall and has a clock face 5 times big ben... its not as if people dont have phones these days to let them know its prayer time!

Mohammed's tomb in Medina is next

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/alarm-over-saudi-plan-remove-remains-prophet-muhammad-64572685

its stunning.....i never knew this place existed....is access helicopter only,or is it climbable?

Thought you might have heard of it, was the setting for Conan Doyle's The Lost world (never read it,mind)

Each of the many distinct tablelands or tepui has its own ecosystem, many with species that can only be found on that single plateau.

One of the remaining untouched wildernesses. Pity that Venezuela is such a basket case as would love to visit that country (women are unreal too as we know!). You could pay a visit to the area from the Brazilian side, take a trip north from Manaus but it would be a lot longer i reckon. I hear neighbouring Guyana is also a cracker, great people, waterfalls etc

Any takers for this one? a couple of my own snaps

post-1491-0-44924800-1413234333_thumb.jp

post-1491-0-39242500-1413234336_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Kind of a rip-off of Big Ben, eh?

Had to find out about the skyscaper in the desert.... from wiki:

The Abraj Al-Bait Towers, also known as the Mecca Royal Hotel Clock Tower, is a government-owned building complex in MeccaSaudi Arabia. ... The complex holds several world records, the tallest clock tower in the world and the world's largest clock face. The complex's hotel tower became the second tallest building in the world in 2012, surpassing Taiwan's Taipei 101, and is currently the third tallest building in the world ( & tallest in Saudi Arabia). The building complex is metres away from the world's largest mosque  and Islam's most sacred site, the Masjid al-Haram. The developer and contractor of the complex is the Saudi Binladin Group, (Osama's dad).

The tallest tower in the complex also contains a five-star hotel, operated by Fairmont Hotels and Resorts, to help provide lodging for the millions of pilgrims that travel to Mecca annually to participate in the Hajj.

In addition, the Abraj Al-Bait Towers has a 5-storey shopping mall (the Abraj Al Bait Mall) and a parking garage capable of holding over a thousand vehicles. Residential towers house permanent residents while two heliports and a conference center are to accommodate business travelers. In total, up to 100,000 people could be housed inside the towers. The project uses clock faces for each side of the hotel tower. The clock faces are 43 m × 43 m (141 ft × 141 ft), the largest in the world

So this may be the best place in the world to run a hotel...