Poker Movies

A friend of mine produced videos for Richard "The cheat" Turner who is/was the world number one card sharp and cant get a game anywhere now and now advises card companies and gives lectures on cheating at Poker

Turner can produce a Royal Flush in spades from a shuffled Deck and deal it to one of five places at a table...

I have the Vid and its fantastic to see this guy work.

Also i have quite a bit of materiel on card sharpery.. around 5,000 USD worth of tapes , books and CDs

IMO, poker has become bastardized over the years. IMO, real poker is 5 card draw, 5 card stud, maybe 7 card stud. Fuck all these other versions that have taken hold in recent years.

On that note, a favorite poker scene from the best TV series of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTyGayvUrsg

"Sure you wanna quick playing Jack?

The game is always between you and getting called a cunt

That drop eye of yours looks like the hood on a cunt to me Jack.

When you talk your mouth looks like a cunt moving."

"I ain't gonna get in no gun fight with you Hickock".

"But you will run your cunt mouth at me.

And I will take it to play poker."

Fucking classic scene. Keith Carradine was the best Wild Bill actor ever.

There was a scene involving a poker game in Rio Bravo. John Wayne's character accuses Angie Dickinson of being a card sharp, before the actual one is found out.

One of my 2 personal favorite Wayne vehicles along with True Grit.

I like Quentin Tarantino's comment on Rio Bravo. He said when he was in his 20s and if he would ever like a girl and they started dating, seeing each other, etc, he would show her Rio Bravo, and she better like it. 555. Like it was his barometer movie of determining whether she was worthy of continuing to date.

Another great western movie that centered a lot around a gambler who played poker, was McCabe and Mrs Miller. IMO, an all time classic. I love Leonard Cohen's songs in the soundtrack. The Stranger Song, Winter Lady, Sisters of Mercy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpXzsOXdNOA&feature=related

This is also Keith Carradine's first movie and just like in Deadwood, he is a cowboy who gets murdered.

Great flick, haven't seen it in decades tho, have to revisit it again.

Not specifically about only poker, but "The Gambler" with Jimmy Caan (Dir: Karel Reiez) was the first film I ever saw that successfully depicted the high a gambling addict chases & shows it's not about winning at all, but the adrenaline of constantly being in play & in danger. (It has nothing to do with the Kenny Rogers film a few years later!)