Ethernet Internet Cables

Mod1

A long time ago I bought a cheap little splitter box that the LAN cable plugs into and then one can plug up to four LAN cables into the box. Sort of a poor man's router. A simple Y connection, with no buffering, between two computers would not be a good thing.

Splitter Box, just what I was looking for but did not know the name.  Thanks!   :hi:

I think mine was actually called a router but it didn't exactly perform the full function of a router when it came to IP addresses. You should be able to find something at Tukcom of course. 

There are around 6 types of splitters but usually they are meant to be used at each end. They are not sold in shops

google " network cable economizer  splitter"

usually they are used on the patch panel only but you may be lucky .. probably need pin 1 to 1   2 to 2  etc etc

There is no such thing as a 'splitter' for ethernet cables, what you want is a switch.

You can get a switch anywhere, usually under 400B for  a 4 port 100mb switch. a little more if you need 1gb switch.

If you want to get techy, a splitter just splits the same signal, like from a dvd player to 2 TV showing the same thing.

An Ethernet Switch takes traffic on n ports (usually 4 to 48) and then routes them to a single outbound connection.

An Ethernet Hub does the same thing but is not as smart about splitting traffic up, so no one sells hubs anymore since switches are so cheap.

• Upvote 1