The Ryder Cup!

I know that it might not be the best result for our BM's from across the big pond but what a monumental wekend of sporting endeavour. Certainly the best Ryder Cup I have seen in over 40 years. Astonishing golf played by both teams in the most incredible and emotional conditions. Loads of absolute heroes on the European side but special mention to Poulter (who semed single handedly to grab the damn thing and wrest it from the US), Rose for two unbelievable putts at the end and the much under-rated Lawrie. Credit to the USA for absolute dignity in defeat as well.

Am I the only one on here who watched it?!

I think maybe you are the only one on here to watch it...It is Sunday in America...That means NFL...Our version of footsie...Though they do wear cups I think...

Truth is the Cup shit kept popping up on my screen all day...I thought it was something you wore over your nuts to protect yourself while you were riding a horse...

In all honesty, watching golf on TV is kinda like watching paint dry...No disrespect but It ain't very exciting to most of us in the USA...And I don't think too many Yanks care who won or lost...If I want to take a nap, I'll turn it on...

In Pattaya there's an event called the Ride Her Cup (no joke). Perhaps not an easy day for the caddies as in the Pattaya area the caddies are female.

I think most of us who watch football or basketball or boxing are not necessarily active participants in these sports. OTOH, I think televised golf especially appeals to guys who golf themselves.

In Pattaya, Rabbi's Elephant Bar, about a minute walk form Pook Swan, has golf outings on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

I watched the highlights, and loved it

With the Europeans 10-6 down and not given a chance going into the last 12 singles matches the Yanks gathered en masse to celebrate a USA (USA USA USA) victory.

Unfortunately for them TEAM EUROPE hadnt read the script and won the singles ties 8-1/2 to 3-1/2 giving them an overall 14-1/2 - 13-1/2 Victory :party0011:

Well done TEAM EUROPE, fantastic lads :happy0064:

I do have one question. Why is it always USA against the whole world? Why not the world against Scotland or Ireland or England? Is USA the always bad guy, or is the USA just better in ALL sports? :hi:

The Ryder Cup started out as U.S. vs Great Britain. But the US won so often after WW2 that they changed it to U.S. vs Europe. In the last decade or so Europe has been kicking our ass. On odd numbered years it's the Presidents Cup which is U.S. vs an International Team minus Europe. The US has only lost that competition once in nine times it was played.

Yes the U.S. is better in all sports. Especially soccer/football, cricket, lawn bowling (is that a sport?), rugby and Austrailian rules football. :blink::sign0181:

The Ryder Cup started out as U.S. vs Great Britain. But the US won so often after WW2 that they changed it to U.S. vs Europe. In the last decade or so Europe has been kicking our ass. On odd numbered years it's the Presidents Cup which is U.S. vs an International Team minus Europe. The US has only lost that competition once in nine times it was played.

Yes the U.S. is better in all sports. Especially soccer/football, cricket, lawn bowling (is that a sport?), rugby and Austrailian rules football. :blink::sign0181:

Started out against |Great Britian and Ireland.
The Ryder Cup started out as U.S. vs Great Britain.
Started out against |Great Britian and Ireland.

Not in the beginning.

Wikipedia: The first official Ryder Cup took place in 1927 at Worcester Country Club, in Massachusetts, USA. These early matches between the United States and Great Britain remained fairly even. It was not until the competition's resumption after the Second World War that repeated American dominance led to a decision, initiated by Jack Nicklaus, to extend the representation to continental Europe from 1979. The Republic of Ireland was officially included in the British team of 1973. While other Irish players had competed since 1953 and Northern Irish players since 1947.