Public Health Ministry Bans Alcohol Sale on August 2nd and 3rd

pdogg

Not sure if bars will be open but not serving booze.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255508010019

BANGKOK, 1 August 2012 (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health is banning the sale of alcohol on the upcoming Asarnha Bucha and Buddhist Lent Days, which fall on August 2 and 3, respectively.

Following the Cabinet’s resolution to designate Buddhist Lent Day each year as the “No Alcohol Day”, an announcement was issued by the Prime Minister’s Office in 2009, stating that the sale of alcohol would be prohibited on four major religious holidays, namely Makha Bucha Day, Visakha Bucha Day, Asarnha Bucha Day and Buddhist Lent Day.

Like any other year, Public Health Minister Witthaya Buranasiri confirmed that the alcohol ban will also be imposed during this year’s Asarnha Bucha and Buddhist Lent Days. However, the ban will not cover hotels registered under the Hotel Act.

The Minister said that in addition to violating Buddhist principles, alcohol consumption can lead to a number of social issues, such as drunk-driving and crimes.

The Public Health Ministry is coordinating with health offices nationwide to closely monitor establishments and entertainment venues in their provinces. Violators of the ban will face a jail term of up to six months, or a fine of up to 10,000 baht, or both.

Members of the public who witness illegal sales of alcoholic drinks on both of the religious occasions are advised to contact local authorities at 0-2590-3342.

My heart bleeds for you

I remember back in May 2010 when myself and BigTel were sat "chillin" in the front of Mike La Cage at around 8pm when Mike came out and said he had to shut the bar because a "curfew" was being enforced that night in Pattaya.( 1 night only)

To make matters worse I spent the next 5 nights in Bangkok where the curfew was enforced every night where I spent the nights looking down from my 13th Floor Hotel balcony ( near WongWian Yai BTS) at the "deserted" streets at 9pm , which in itself was quite an experience to be honest.

At least it made my then non-P4P g/f happy as I wasnt hitting the bars :biggrin:

I tend to do a lot of research before I book my trips and look out for nights where there may be a closure.

e.g. this... http://chiangmaibest...-holidays-2012/

Using this I have been able to plan my next trip so I dont miss the Loy Krathong on Wednesday 28th November which I last enjoyed at Sally's Bar back in 2007 with a crew of BM's

I still fondly remember myself, Am, PDogg and his other half on Jomtien Beach having a beer, great times