What is Dog the bounty hunter.?

I watch Dog the bounty hunter, i find it hilarious.

it seems he puts up his own money to get a meth head out of jail for drug charges, and then chases them down when they (surprise surprise) dont turn up in court.

whats the point.?

why would he bail anyone out in the first place.?

how does he make money.?

we dont use this system in the uk, can someone explain how it works and where the money is.?

there must be a few quid in it, he dresses up in all the gear.

cheers.

Yes, there is a lot of money to be made in the bail bond industry here in America.

The basic premise is that you can get out of jail by putting down a set amount of money determined by the court in funds that are called a bond. This is to ensure that you will return for your court date as the amount of money will be forfitted if you don't show up and a warrant issued for your arrest with the charge being "failure to appear".

Since most people do not have the cash on hand or readily available to pay the entire bond, they instead procure the services of a bail bondsman. They can usually purchase a bail bond to get out of jail by putting 10% of the bond amount down and securing the rest of the amount with a property or other security like a car title or stocks etc.

When the client returns to face the charges in court this bond is refunded. In the case of a bail bondsman he gets the entire 100% of the amount back when the client shows up in court, and keeps the 10% that was paid to him initially by the client as his fee.

Since most clients do actually show up in court rather than face the criminal and financial penalties, the bail bondsman has a relatively lucrative income based on fairly short loans.

Hope that clears this up.

we dont use this system in the uk, can someone explain how it works and where the money is.?

What is the system in the UK? Do you have the idea of "innocent until proven guilty" that compels the courts to let you free until you're proven guilty (unless there's a high probability of your not showing up to answer for the charges)?

What is the system in the UK? Do you have the idea of "innocent until proven guilty" that compels the courts to let you free until you're proven guilty (unless there's a high probability of your not showing up to answer for the charges)?

We dont have bounty hunters.....but we do have a bail system.If the defendant cant post his own bail,then family or friends have to do it for him/her.Recently,several people who had each vouched £20k apiece for Julian Assange lost their bail money when he took asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy.The total bail money was $375,000 apparently! American filmmaker Michael Moore was among them.

• Upvote 1

Total Garbage Television! I hope this answers your question! :biggrin:

Nah, that would be the car repo shows on the same network. Interesting premise, but the action scenes are obviously scripted/faked which really is annoying when what you're watching is supposed to be "reality television".

I tried to watch that show but his wife scared the hell out of me. :sign0181:

Agreed,shes a double bagger...big fat arse also....God,I bet she can fart!

Nah, that would be the car repo shows on the same network. Interesting premise, but the action scenes are obviously scripted/faked which really is annoying when what you're watching is supposed to be "reality television".

Yep,fake as shit.Pawn stars is another piece of cack we've gotten from the US.But my most hated in the real housewifes of Orange county....these midless morons are living in a bubble all of their own....and what sort of men are prepared to put up with their bullshit?? I seen one episode where they had a botox party FFS.Paying some fecker to give them all injections to make em look younger....it never worked,silicone hags.I pity American men (who can't get to LoS)

in the uk, if you were nicked for something serious like murder, you just do not get bail. you are locked up on remand until the trial.

ive never heard of anyone i know paying bail money, i think that is something the rich might ask about.

but for small petty stuff, everyone is bailed (let out) and expected to turn up for court on a certain date.

if people dont turn up, it the police,s job to track them down.

on a certain day, they will smash the front door off at 5 am.

so maybe there is something to be said about using a private company to track these down, instead of wasting resources on the police.

in the uk, if you were nicked for something serious like murder, you just do not get bail. you are locked up on remand until the trial.

Also worth noting that in the Uk time served on remand comes off your sentence if your found guilty.

But the bad thing is that as the system normally takes at least a year to come to court and if your found innocent it can have ruined your life anyway. Some justice.

I may have answered the wrong question initially when Anthony started this thread.

Ant, the Bounty Hunters make their money by finding the guys that have fled from justice, leaving a bond company holding a bond that they are now responsible for as the guy didn't show up in court.

The court system and law enforcement are out to find these guys as well, but since the Bail Bondsman is out a large amount of money, it's in his best interest to ensure that the fugitive is found and brought to justice as otherwise, they are out the entire amount of the bond that they have been hired to put up on the fugitive's behalf.

They then hire the Bounty Hunters, or put out a notice that they will pay a bounty for the capture of a fugitive which the bounty hunters then act upon. If the bounty hunter finds the fugitive, they are paid the "bounty" by the bond company. In this way, they aren't out the entire amount of the bond, only the bounty that they've offered for the capture of the fugitive. Once captured and returned to the authorities, the bond company can get their bond returned and are only out the amount they paid in the form of the bounty.

Not meaning to belabor the point, but here's an example:

Let's say JimmyK gets arrested for having sex with a minor. His bond is set at $100,000.

His relatives go to the Bail Bond company and pay $10,000 plus sign over the deed for a piece of land worth $150,000. The bond company pays the courts $100k for JImmyK to be released pending his trial. Then JimmyK skips town and doesn't appear at his arraignment. A warrant is issued for his arrest, and the $100k bond is forfeited to the court. Although cops are looking for JimmyK, his bond company puts out a bounty of $5,000 for his capture. Pdogg the Bounty Hunter knows some folks in the criminal underworld and after asking around, finds that he's hanging out at Pattaya Beer Garden as a cook using an assumed name. PDogg arrests JimmyK and returns him to jail, where his bail is revoked and he's locked up until the end of his trial. The court returns the $100k bond to his Bail Bondsman, who pays PDogg the $5k bounty. The bondsman also returns the deed for the land to JimmyK's family, but keeps the $10k they paid on his bond. Result is bondsman only makes $5k instead of $10k.

• Upvote 2

Excellent DT. thats what i needed to read and makes perfect sense.

however.

is Dog diferent in that he is the bondsman who puts the money up.?

and rather than hire a hunter, he does it himself.?

thats what it looks like.and thats why im confused.

they have a sticker on the door "da kine bail bonds"

i presume kine means dog.

It does seem like Dog is really a bail bondsman and thus is chasing his own clients, not looking to earn the bounty from some other bail bondsman. But "Dog the Bail Bondsman" doesn't sounds so exciting..

There is a long history of bounty hunters in the US. These guys can get away with detaining other citizens for periods of time (whereas if a non-bounty hunter did this it would be called kidnapping). I wonder if the lack of bail bond organizations in other countries is due to laws that would not allow bounty hunters to exist.

I may have answered the wrong question initially when Anthony started this thread.

Ant, the Bounty Hunters make their money by finding the guys that have fled from justice, leaving a bond company holding a bond that they are now responsible for as the guy didn't show up in court.

The court system and law enforcement are out to find these guys as well, but since the Bail Bondsman is out a large amount of money, it's in his best interest to ensure that the fugitive is found and brought to justice as otherwise, they are out the entire amount of the bond that they have been hired to put up on the fugitive's behalf.

They then hire the Bounty Hunters, or put out a notice that they will pay a bounty for the capture of a fugitive which the bounty hunters then act upon. If the bounty hunter finds the fugitive, they are paid the "bounty" by the bond company. In this way, they aren't out the entire amount of the bond, only the bounty that they've offered for the capture of the fugitive. Once captured and returned to the authorities, the bond company can get their bond returned and are only out the amount they paid in the form of the bounty.

Not meaning to belabor the point, but here's an example:

Let's say JimmyK gets arrested for having sex with a minor. His bond is set at $100,000.

His relatives go to the Bail Bond company and pay $10,000 plus sign over the deed for a piece of land worth $150,000. The bond company pays the courts $100k for JImmyK to be released pending his trial. Then JimmyK skips town and doesn't appear at his arraignment. A warrant is issued for his arrest, and the $100k bond is forfeited to the court. Although cops are looking for JimmyK, his bond company puts out a bounty of $5,000 for his capture. Pdogg the Bounty Hunter knows some folks in the criminal underworld and after asking around, finds that he's hanging out at Pattaya Beer Garden as a cook using an assumed name. PDogg arrests JimmyK and returns him to jail, where his bail is revoked and he's locked up until the end of his trial. The court returns the $100k bond to his Bail Bondsman, who pays PDogg the $5k bounty. The bondsman also returns the deed for the land to JimmyK's family, but keeps the $10k they paid on his bond. Result is bondsman only makes $5k instead of $10k.

After I watched the movie Jackie Brown, I thought it would be cool to be a bail bondsman, like Max Cherry.

• Upvote 1