Are They Closing Jomtien Bars

aprevans

My brother send me this note, from Thaivisa. It will be interesting to see what happens

thaivisa.com 21/jan-12

For the last week or two City Hall has been finding excuses to close all bars in Jomtien. So far I am told, all bars in Soi Whitehouse, Soi 7, Soi 5, some in the new bar complex off Soi Rompho (the market), Country Club, Blue Dolphin, DK, and others are now closed. They have said that they are confident of finding an excuse to close all the remaining ones. Firstly all paper work ( licences ) were checked along with staff IDs, if all in order then a reason was manufactured, i.e. being open after legal hours 1 am. Technically all places selling alcohol must close at midnight but for as long as anyone can remember, it has been ignored in the Pattaya. area. I have heard two theories for this. One is that the powers that be think that closing all bars will make the area more attractve to 'Quality' tourists, the 'riff raff' can go to Walking Street to drink. The second beng that due to the declining number of tourists, the bars in Pattaya are losing money, so if they get rid of competition in Jomtien then numbers of punters would improve there. I believe that all the closed bars have been given orders to close for thirty days during which time, they must try to persuade officials to allow them to re-open at the end of it. We all know what that means! I wonder why the local media haven't mentioned this, a major change in the way of life in Jomtien.

• Upvote 1

I like ThaiVisa, but one must take it with a grain of salt.

*I* heard some police officials were visiting from BKK, and when that happens, they do check paperwork to ensure all is in order. Usually a little tea money can sort things out, but not always.

Yes its funny how that works - wonder if Soi 6 will be getting their usual visitation at some point and then within 48-72 hours everything goes back to normal.

My brother send me this note, from Thaivisa. It will be interesting to see what happens

thaivisa.com 21/jan-12

For the last week or two City Hall has been finding excuses to close all bars in Jomtien. So far I am told, all bars in Soi Whitehouse, Soi 7, Soi 5, some in the new bar complex off Soi Rompho (the market), Country Club, Blue Dolphin, DK, and others are now closed. They have said that they are confident of finding an excuse to close all the remaining ones. Firstly all paper work ( licenses ) were checked along with staff IDs, if all in order then a reason was manufactured, i.e. being open after legal hours 1 am. Technically all places selling alcohol must close at midnight but for as long as anyone can remember, it has been ignored in the Pattaya. area. I have heard two theories for this. One is that the powers that be think that closing all bars will make the area more attractive to 'Quality' tourists, the 'riff raff' can go to Walking Street to drink. The second beng that due to the declining number of tourists, the bars in Pattaya are losing money, so if they get rid of competition in Jomtien then numbers of punters would improve there. I believe that all the closed bars have been given orders to close for thirty days during which time, they must try to persuade officials to allow them to re-open at the end of it. We all know what that means! I wonder why the local media haven't mentioned this, a major change in the way of life in Jomtien.

I think you'll find that all bar areas are zoned & any one zone can be picked out at any time, especially if it's within ear shot of influential temple sites where complaints may have been made by either the Abbot or an important local hi-so, in this sort of situation it really isn't just a case of paying the tea money.

Up here in Chiang Mai they've had a real purge on the middle section of the Loi Kroi Rd, heavy handedly shutting the bars down at midnight & not one minute later... But the thing is that this is the one civilized section of this street which caters for the more 'well to do' tourists with the hard core 'arse hanging out' whore bars at the top end of the road being left completely alone, along with 2 Thai owned night clubs that have music blaring out until 5.00am?!.. And the reason why is well know locally... It's because certain 'privileged hi-sos' had been pissed off (for whatever reason) & the local temple in that vicinity is a revered & auspicious site, so that gives leverage. In addition the bar owners in that immediate vicinity are either Falang or Thais deemed to be of no consequence, so therefore have neither 'face' or 'voice', where as many of the bars & clubs in other ares are owned by influential Thais themselves (very often Army Generals or the Police in our case up here).

One of the other things that happens here is that the local bar girls, being what they are, will progressively start partying longer & harder as the nights go by, getting noisier & noisier at the same time. The local police will come in softly, softly, have a drink, politely ask for their kick back & then politely tell them to keep their noise down, but unfortunately their requests will usually be ignored by some of the most stupid, dense, squawking ignorant Isarn piglets known to have ever gotten drunk in a bar & they will be so stupid as to in turn start getting even later & noisier! At the same time the police requests will steadily get harsher... Until BAMM!!! The local hi-sos & police superiors have had enough & they call in the heavy squad in from BKK!.. And these fucking stupid girls just never learn! They'll go quiet for a while & then it will all start over again... And again... And again... And...