The Function of Fora

Guest LaBambaBar

Guest LaBambaBar

Customers may use a forum to complain/suggest/demand/praise until their fingertips are bleeding, but bugger all will change in any bar unless the bar owner is:

a. repeatedly told so by customers directly, and

b. wishes to change any aspect of their bar.

b is not dependent on a.

Discuss.

• Upvote 2

Excellent  topic LaBamba!     :happy0065:  :party0011:  :clapping:

I think the primary function of fora (I'll be using that word in the Year of the Monkey)  from a barowner's perspective is to to get customers to go to his bar.  This is even more important for Ladyboy Bars than for Straight Bars or Gay Bars as a visit to a particular Ladyboy Bar is often a predetermined (especially for Calvinists) decision while a str8 guy may just head for Walking Street or a  :homoswitch: may just head for Boyztown.

From a customers perspective (in threads about bars) it's to find out about bars, where they are, hours of operation, what the girls look like (most guys love to see pics of bargirls and also like when the name of the ladyboy is mentioned), how hands on you can get at the bar,  :behind:    drink prices, barfine price, ladyboy's asking price, are customer hassled for drinks or barfines, are customers ripped off etc.  When customers vent their intention is not to change a bar as that's probably not going to happen.  It's more about naming and shaming if he has a bad experience, trying to help out his mate if he knows the barowner, or just general banter because guys enjoy posting about bars.

Guest LaBambaBar

I agree, Pdoggg - up to a point.

I am always happy to provide clear and honest info about La Bamba to customers - even if they don't like it.  I also have a duty to La Bamba not to allow misinformation to be spread.  (Note: I don't think this happens on LBR.)

I do think that customers/BMs are well within their rights to vent, but some demand change/action.

My point is that action/change will only occur given condition b above, and the only way to bring that to a barowners attention is through condition a, directly and face-to-face.

To give one small example.

Some time ago (2014, as i recall), more than one customer complained on another forum about the lack of clean handtowels and handsoap in the La Bamba toilet.  I not only raised the issue repeatedly, but also purchased 15 handtowels and a large quantity of handsoap.  What happened to those towels?  Your guess is as good as mine.

The only action resulting from this was that I was told to stop yak-yakking.

I mentioned this lack of action one afternoon to ciobha, who very kindly took it upon himself to mention the issue to the management, using the trigger phrase 'bad for business,' I seem to remember.

Result?  Instant action.  Why? because a valued customer had raised the issue directly.

I believe a certain prominent farang barowner has also recently discovered the same problem re towels/soap.  His solution?  Ask the customers to tell his Thai partner about the problem.  I greatly empathise with him.  (Note: he has yet to be taken to task by anyone on that forum for this audacity in actually suggesting customers direct their complaint to the person who can actually do something about it.)

• Upvote 1

I agree, Pdoggg - up to a point.

I am always happy to provide clear and honest info about La Bamba to customers - even if they don't like it.  I also have a duty to La Bamba not to allow misinformation to be spread.  (Note: I don't think this happens on LBR.)

I do think that customers/BMs are well within their rights to vent, but some demand change/action.

My point is that action/change will only occur given condition b above, and the only way to bring that to a barowners attention is through condition a, directly and face-to-face.

To give one small example.

Some time ago (2014, as i recall), more than one customer complained on another forum about the lack of clean handtowels and handsoap in the La Bamba toilet.  I not only raised the issue repeatedly, but also purchased 15 handtowels and a large quantity of handsoap.  What happened to those towels?  Your guess is as good as mine.

The only action resulting from this was that I was told to stop yak-yakking.

I mentioned this lack of action one afternoon to ciobha, who very kindly took it upon himself to mention the issue to the management, using the trigger phrase 'bad for business,' I seem to remember.

Result?  Instant action.  Why? because a valued customer had raised the issue directly.

I believe a certain prominent farang barowner has also recently discovered the same problem re towels/soap.  His solution?  Ask the customers to tell his Thai partner about the problem.  I greatly empathise with him.  (Note: he has yet to be taken to task by anyone on that forum for this audacity in actually suggesting customers direct their complaint to the person who can actually do something about it.)

I am presuming by this sentence that you feel you were taken to task, and that the person who presumably did so thought you audacious for suggesting customers direct complaints and suggestions to owners rather than Internet reps. If my presumption is correct, then may I suggest, with all due respect, that you are being a bit defensive, and perhaps a tad rhetorically combative. If my presumption is not correct, then please accept my apologies and take my point in the spirit in which it is meant, which I am confident you are intelligent enough to understand.

That said, I do appreciate your point about communicating with bar owners directly, and I agree that the buck ultimately stops with the bar owner regarding how a bar is run, not necessarily with whomever is acting as an Internet representative. 

• Upvote 1

Guest LaBambaBar

My point is simply this - if a customer has a complaint/suggestion/compliment/whatever AND they want some action taken - they should tell the person who can actually do something about it.  Let me be clear - in La Bamba's case, that person is not me.

It is NOT my responsibility to make complaints on behalf of customers, nor is it my responsibility to train the staff in La Bamba.

I take great pains to make it clear that I am not the owner, nor do I have any business interest in the bar.  This can be demonstrated anytime someone writes (or says to me) 'your' bar.  I always make it crystal clear that La Bamba is not 'my' bar, but is 100% owned and operated by Nok.

As the 'representative' of La Bamba on the forums I have a duty to promote La Bamba, to provide customers with information if requested, to make sure any information I do provide is up-to-date, accurate, and honest, and to make sure nobody gets away with writing inaccurate or malicious stuff about the bar.  And that is all.

Much as I agree with the vast majority of points made by La Bamba, and in fact I have indeed approached Nok directly, more than a few times, to remind her of the importance of having hand towels/soap etc, in the toilet, there is one thing we should remember, in my opinion anyway.

That is, not all bar owners are Nok!! Although Nok, Paeng and a few others would react positively to a customer pointing some minor misdemeanours, I would be quite sure there are a few, mainly Thai, bar owners who may take it as strong criticism, making them lose face etc., and certainly not in the spirit it was intended. Just something to contemplate.

• Upvote 4

Much as I agree with the vast majority of points made by La Bamba, and in fact I have indeed approached Nok directly, more than a few times, to remind her of the importance of having hand towels/soap etc, in the toilet, there is one thing we should remember, in my opinion anyway.

That is, not all bar owners are Nok!! Although Nok, Paeng and a few others would react positively to a customer pointing some minor misdemeanours, I would be quite sure there are a few, mainly Thai, bar owners who may take it as strong criticism, making them lose face etc., and certainly not in the spirit it was intended. Just something to contemplate.

Glad you made that point as that is something that occurred to me as well. I barely know Nok and Paeng and really don't feel comfortable offering them any suggestions/complaints about their bars. 

In my opinion, the function of fora is to provide a place to share experiences, discuss related topics, and generally exchange banter and news regarding the particular subject matter of that particular forum.

In our world, the relevant bars may, or may not, choose to represent themselves or have a representative on a forum, that is their choice. Where bars do have a representative in our world it is almost always a farang, for obvious communicative reasons.

Among the general forum community there would be a level of expectation that the farang representing a bar could, should, and would be capable of doing more than simply spamming fora with new threads and numerous bumped posts of the same advert whenever an event or party is approaching. Fielding feedback and being a conduit in to the bar from the outside world surely would not be functions too outrageous to contemplate as part of that role.

When a hostile and combatitive atmosphere commonly and rapidly forms whenever contributions are made beyond multiple event announcements the end result is one which will likely form a negative impression in the minds of potential or existing customers towards the represented bar. Any Thais involved with that bar are most likely completely unaware of the detrimental side effect and stained reputation smeared across various fora that their farang representative leaves behind.

Fortunately, for some bars at least, the attractiveness and appeal of the girls on staff allows many customers to overlook many of the above short-comings.

• Upvote 4

Guest LaBambaBar

In my opinion, the function of fora is to provide a place to share experiences, discuss related topics, and generally exchange banter and news regarding the particular subject matter of that particular forum.

In our world, the relevant bars may, or may not, choose to represent themselves or have a representative on a forum, that is their choice. Where bars do have a representative in our world it is almost always a farang, for obvious communicative reasons.

Among the general forum community there would be a level of expectation that the farang representing a bar could, should, and would be capable of doing more than simply spamming fora with new threads and numerous bumped posts of the same advert whenever an event or party is approaching. Fielding feedback and being a conduit in to the bar from the outside world surely would not be functions too outrageous to contemplate as part of that role.

When a hostile and combatitive atmosphere commonly and rapidly forms whenever contributions are made beyond multiple event announcements the end result is one which will likely form a negative impression in the minds of potential or existing customers towards the represented bar. Any Thais involved with that bar are most likely completely unaware of the detrimental side effect and stained reputation smeared across various fora that their farang representative leaves behind.

Fortunately, for some bars at least, the attractiveness and appeal of the girls on staff allows many customers to overlook many of the above short-comings.

Now I've heard it all - complaining because someone actively promotes a bar.  Spamming?  Fuck.  Right.  Off.

Am I being hostile with you?  You should know, as you are responsible for more hostility on fora than anyone else I have met, your modus operandi being to 'throw a bag of shit into the middle of a crowded room' then run away to watch the 'fun' develop.  What a hero.

How do you know what Nok (or any other Thai owner) knows?  Easy - you don't.

Guest LaBambaBar

That's true.  I can think of one in particular.  I guess Lita got tired of all the forum shite very, very quickly after Karl stopped actively posting and left her to fend for herself.  Can't say I blame her.

• Upvote 1

I guess Lita got tired of all the forum shite very, very quickly after Karl stopped actively posting and left her to fend for herself.  Can't say I blame her.

Yes Lita goes out of her way to give out free food and shots to customers no wonder she gets frustrated when guys have cheap shots at her on forums .

The problem with all this is that people expect western standards in a third world environment , in western countries bars are run as a business and staff are trained , everything is geared to getting and keeping customers , keeping them happy in the place so they become a regular and eat and drink their regularly .

The Thailand model is different most bars are meeting places where guys go to take out the staff for the evening or take them upstairs , I doubt the bar staff are trained in shaking cocktails or advising you on the best malts on offer .

The best places work well because there's a western owner or partner around who can implement what the customers want  beyond that its pot luck some places are good some not so good .

Lets face it most of these girls running bars have just struck lucky and bagged a western boyfriend who's financing the venture they have zero experience beyond that , the smart ones listen to the customers but many simply don't give a shit .   

• Upvote 5

fully agreeing - If there is a bar official,representative in the fora, whoever he/she is (owner, friend, good willing Customer, part owner, hired PR guy) The Communication should be two ways. Feeding the readers with news (without spamming or hyping) and taking customer (legitimate) comments/claims/remarks/suggestions back to the bar. It should be a "condition" to allow this sort of free advertorials.

Otherwise the bar should buy a banner and live with the one way communication only.

• Upvote 3