Type 'O' Visa stamp

JaiDee

If anyone here is interested in staying in Thailand off and on for any part of a full year and is not yet 50 years old, the Type 'O' visa is the way to go. It allows for multiple entry, and you can stay in-country for up to 90 days at any one time.

I was just in contact with a staffer at a Thai consulate in the states and she tells me it has gone up to 200 bucks from 175, but that is still a great bargain. This will be my 4th year in a row getting this awesome stamp in my passport, and it is very handy for people who don't like border runs and like staying put for long stretches of time in one place.

Check with your local embassy or consulate, I understand the same stamp is available to Brits and probably all other nationalities as well.

JD,

I checked at my local Consulate and was told the type "O" visa that you refer to is only available to some special guy from New England 'cause the Consulate lady there with the rubber stamp has a shine on him. Hmmmm, I'm figuring that might be you 'cause you're one helluva hansom man. :)

All kidding aside, what is the criteria to qualify for the type "O" visa? What should you say and what should you not say?

You can pretty much do the same with just a tourist visa for less money...

A tourist visa only costs 35 USD and they will stack 2 or 3 of them depending on the Thai Consulate you go to...that means, with an in-country extension you can stay for 6 to 9 months with just a border run after 90 days to renew the next visa...I know some permanent residents that use the tourist visa instead of having to provide all the extra paperwork needed to get an O visa...

For US citizens you don't need to show income, tickets, etc...Not certain what a Canadian citizen needs to show...I take or send Thia DVDs to the consulate in LA...They love me...

Just something else to explore for those of you who want to stay a bit longer than 30 days...

I was told before I applied for my first one that I would need some elaborate story about building a house and would need to come up with some bogus photos of some home in Issan or some shit....before I went in I had a whole story worked up for the lady at the Thai consulate, when in fact all she did was take my passport into another room to scan it, then pasted in that large red stamp and I was good to go for the year!

The whole thing took 5 minutes, I was amazed.....no stories, no excuses, no lies, just pay the 175 [now 200] and I was in and out of there. Now, since the lady knows and remembers me, it's just a simple matter of showing up and paying the fee.

Not sure how hard it is in other places, I have heard of people being declined for them and I have heard stories like mine, it seems to be about 50/50. For my purposes this visa works incredibly well; I can stay put in one place for 89 days before I have to move, and I can also transit in and out of BKK as often as I want to cool places like Laos and Nepal and no problems with multiple re-entry's.

This will be my last year of doing it as I turn 50 in 2012 but for these past 4 years it has been a Godsend.