Renting in LOS

TEXASMAC

So I contacted a gentlemen about a 3 bedroom house in Hua Hin and the price is good. The strange part to me is he emailed me his bank account information and said I should wire him one months rent and then on June 1 he would meet me at the house with the lease. Is that normal?

• Upvote 1

The strange part to me is he emailed me his bank account information and said I should wire him one months rent and then on June 1 he would meet me at the house with the lease. Is that normal?

In advance of a signed lease, and in advance of your verification that he even has the right to lease the property to you?  No, it is not normal.

Send me only half of what you send him, and then I promise to meet you at a time and place of your choosing to give you whatever you like.  :hi:

Are you moving to Thailand T-Mac?

Even if the owner is legit why commit yourself to anything without seeing the house and the location?

If it were me, I'd make a list of places I want to look at and spend the first three nights in a cheap room while I look.

June is low season; you won't have a problem finding a place.

I'd also be very wary of any long term leases.  Shit happens in the LOS and you might want to leave Hua Hin on very short notice and relocate.  Much easier to do in the LOS than the States with lots of furnished monthly rentals and not much stuff to move.

Good luck!   :drinks:  

So I contacted a gentlemen about a 3 bedroom house in Hua Hin and the price is good. The strange part to me is he emailed me his bank account information and said I should wire him one months rent and then on June 1 he would meet me at the house with the lease. Is that normal?

That's not normal anywhere let alone LOS. Abort the deal is my advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Try airbnb, then you pay through that site and have some sort of protection https://www.airbnb.ca/s/Hua-Hin--Thailand?room_types[]=Entire+home%2Fapt&ss_id=z683rb11some of these places are only $600-1k a month. They accept Paypal, credit cards, debit and google wallet payments.

This is kind of awesome, only $249/week  https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/4570542?s=OAhY

Sending a random guy a bank xfer you'll never see it again.