Why Do Farangs Jump From Buildings

DownLoLarry

I suppose some are pushed but others are legitimate suicides.

Think factors include terminal illness, jilted love, and running out of money.  Since guys certainly have advance warning when money is getting low, perhaps a girl stealing his money mightpush him over the ledge.

RIP Douglas

A 52-year-old American plunged to his death from the27th floor of View Thalay Condominium at the Central Pattaya at 7:30 am while police were trying to persuade him to change his mind.The tourist was identified by his passport as Douglax Rex Rinehart. He left a note, saying he had run out of cash but he did not want to go home.

The jump was witnessed by police, security officers and several other people.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/American-tourist-plunges-to-his-death-from-27th-fl-30247027.html

There's a video on Facebook but you may not want to watch.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1030156847104985&fref=nf

Welcome back Kahuna. Where the hell have you been? 

I'm drinking a glass of Louis Latour Chardonnay presently. Well, to be honest it's my third glass. :biggrin:  I'll raise it to having you back posting again. And if you post again tonight, I might have a fourth or fifth upturn of the glass. 

Hope you are well.

Welcome back Kahuna. Where the hell have you been? 

I'm drinking a glass of Louis Latour Chardonnay presently. Well, to be honest it's my third glass. :biggrin:  I'll raise it to having you back posting again. And if you post again tonight, I might have a fourth or fifth upturn of the glass. 

Hope you are well.

Never let it be said that I kept a man from his Louis Latour Chardonnay....

Thanks for asking Sam and especially for the warm welcome....And I hope all is well with you......................

I have been on a short sojourn south of my border (and ready to head back)...So while you are enjoying your French wine I will have a taste of my Herradura Anejo.........

A pic from the airport in PV for you...Alas no pretty boy named Ning to attend to me and my needs...But lots of tasty cold beer...

Moreover, there are no cliffs or tall buildings in Mexico Sam...It is a safe place.............

post-80-0-40478500-1415240559_thumb.jpg

HAHAHAHA!!! So funny.

I can't believe there is a bar in Puerto Vallarta named "Corner Bar" abeit without a Ning or Aun. So, so funny!!!  :biggrin:

So now that you've posted again today I am now condemned to drink a third and fourth glass. Ohhhhh, the burden I bear. Boo Hoo.

Good to have you back.

Personally I could think of a better way to go like in a car with the exhaust piped in through the window.

Very peaceful a with a couple of shots of your favourite tipple and u would glide off gently.

I agree with JustSomeGai alcohol must play a part as when your in that state of mind there's no reasoning and to think of the mess that body is going to make on impact... yuk  and oooch

Very sad to think for some people the place we all love will eventually wipe u out.

One Yank in Pattaya is a drop in the bucket...no pun intended...World wide it is estimated that a million people commit suicide every year...They (who ever that is) expect that number to rise  to 1.5 million by 2020.............

In the USA, from where Douglas Rex Rinehart hailed, someone kills themselves every 17 minutes...if you want you can start counting now...

Those figures and guesstimates don't include the number of folks who try to commit suicide and fail...They (here they are again) estimate that that number is 10 to 20 times greater than those who are successful suiciders.......

Moreover it definately does not include those who think about it and never attempt the act...And that would be almost all of us........That's the person sitting next to you in the baht bus or the 7 -Eleven clerk...That's the airplane pilot who flew you to your destination and the teacher in grade school you so admired...That's your brother and your sister and your mother and your father and your wife and your children.......

These are sobering numbers or should be...And yet we are more concerned with catching the exotic tropical disease du jour or contracting cancer or the fear of flying or some war someplace............

I wasn't joking when I posted that it is in all of us...It is and that can't be denied...And I definitely wasn't joking when I posted that it isn't the fear of falling but of jumping with which we should concern ourselves......

I am sorry  Mr. Rinehart of Las Vegas jumped to his death in Pattaya...But by the time I wrote this post he was joined by another...By the time you read this, if ever, he will have been joined by hundreds...

There are no favorites or underdogs...Just genuine folks dying for their own reasons......................

BTW:  Thailand's suicide rate is much lower than the USA...............

• Upvote 1

I suppose some are pushed but others are legitimate suicides.

Think factors include terminal illness, jilted love, and running out of money.  Since guys certainly have advance warning when money is getting low, perhaps a girl stealing his money mightpush him over the ledge.

RIP Douglas

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/American-tourist-plunges-to-his-death-from-27th-fl-30247027.html

There's a video on Facebook but you may not want to watch.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1030156847104985&fref=nf

What an idiot. There is not one person or thing in Thailand worth killing yourself over. 

Thailand can give you such a (addictive) high when you're here that if it becomes your new normal, you may not be able to adjust back to life back home.  I imagine this combined with depression or alcoholism could easily push a normally sane person to do something extreme like this.

RIP

Thailand can give you such a (addictive) high when you're here that if it becomes your new normal, you may not be able to adjust back to life back home.  I imagine this combined with depression or alcoholism could easily push a normally sane person to do something extreme like this.

RIP

I just drink more.  :drinks:

RIP

That has not been a problem for me, but maybe I was not there long enough. 

That has not been a problem for me, but maybe I was not there long enough. 

You may also be a bit better adjusted than other punters.  I've met a lot of expats (and even tourists) who seem to lose all sense of themselves shortly after arriving and think they've transformed into a rock star.  

Once the rug gets pulled out from underneath them, it's enough to break some.