Expats and the NHS

pdogg

The powers that be are "talking" about making the NHS more expat friendly.

Sustaining_services__ensuring_fairness_-_Government_response_to_consultation.pdf

Expatriates
Currently many, but not all, expatriates are chargeable for healthcare when returning to the
UK to visit and they are immediately exempt if they resume permanent residence.
The
consultation responses acknowledged that current rules are poorly
understood and difficult
to enforce.
Responses broadly supported the idea that those with a previous long
-
term
relationship with the country should be able to continue to access free NHS care when they
are here.
However others argue that full exemption
(that could have significant potential
cost implications) should be
limited to those who have left the UK more recently or who have
previously worked for the majority of their life here.
The Government supports the principle of those who have previously
made a fair
contribution continuing to be entitled to free NHS treatment and this should be consistent
with the principles of ex
-
pat eligibility for UK pensions and other state benefits. We will
therefore undertake further analysis and financial appraisal
before confirming the details of
any
proposed new eligibility rules. We anticipate that these would come into force later in
2014 at the same time as other changes are made to introduce the new migrant health
surcharge

You hear the sad-pats slagging Blighty off in the Pattaya bars yet its ok when they want to come back for free treatment...fook off the lot of ya :biggrin:

'Free' treatment that's been paid for in most cases, if you've made sufficient NI contributions over the years, why not?

Shame they can't include return flights to UK from your expat destination of choice too, now that would be nice  :biggrin:

The one major bug-bear remaining is that of non-index linked fixed pensions for expats not living in the right countries. In a perfect world it shouldn't make any difference, but as we know it's a far from perfect world regards anything to do with 'home'.

You hear the sad-pats slagging Blighty off in the Pattaya bars yet its ok when they want to come back for free treatment...fook off the lot of ya :biggrin:

Fook yoo too Mr. Duke :biggrin:

I'm a sad, old, sex pat, who happily sits up here in Chiang Mai slagging off that poxy, little, grey, wet, piss tank, I used to call home, especially when it's regarding the government, the DSS (pensions), the National Health Service or the fukin' tax office.. Who've all either treated me really unfairly or given really shoddy service over the years.

But then I feel entitled to, because of the fukin' money that I've shovelled into their pockets... Because basically, especially with regard to the National Health Service, it should be all about how much of a contribution towards National Insurance you've made.

And I've given bundles in the past & I'm still paying the fucker's from over here now... Just to get told stuff like, "I won't be getting my fukin' pension until I'm 68 now"... And you can bet your bottom dollar that the goal posts will be moved again & it'll be 70 or over, by the time I get there

So, same as my Pattaya contemporaries, I'll say what the bastard Hell I fuckin' well like... And the arsehole tourists can like it & lump it.

OK, Sunday morning rant over

:hi: