Unpublished Salinger

pdogg

A few previously unpublished Salinger short stories have recently appeared online.

Here are some quotes:

His face got triumphant — the way Kenneth’s face got triumphant; without implications of his having defeated or outdrawn anybody. The ocean was terrible now. It was full of bowling balls.

There was a long kiss, and passion a very remote part of it.

He knew the batting and fielding averages of every player in the major leagues. But he wouldn’t and didn’t go to any of the games with me. He went just once with me, when he was about eight years old, and had seen Lou Gehrig strike out twice. He said he didn’t want to see anyone really good strike out again.

I remember reading "Catcher in the rye" as a teenager,being impressed with it,but if you ask me about it now,all i can remember  was the main character's name,Holden Caulfield(?).....the book apparently was linked to  the murder of John Lennon by that ball-less cunt(i know his name,but dont want to say it..)....I never knew he wrote anything else of substance other than that book.....

I've read Catcher in the Rye, of course. I thought it was an ok read. I only read it all the way through because it is supposed to be an important part of the cannon of US literature, meh. I thought it was pretty light-weight, actually. In my opinion Salinger was a clever short story writer whose work was perfect for magazines like the New Yorker. He's no James Baldwin, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

@STROCUBE-Yeah,thats the reason I read it also,it was supposed to be a must-read book...I read a lot of those american authors...kurt vonnegut jr.,jp donleavy......steinbeck(of course)  gore vidal,,joseph heller.....I think i read a Baldwin once-forget the title....a book about his time in jail(or am i thinking of someone else)  Incidentally-how many of those writers were gay(ish)....Gore Vidal certainly was...Baldwin also?

Yeah, WTP, Baldwin and Vidal were "gay." I put gay it in quotes because Vidal thought, and I agree with him, that it is a bullshit and very limiting term.

Other American writers that we're not strictly hetero, let's say, we're Keroac, Ginsberg and Burroughs. Dunno about Vonnegut or the others. Salinger liked very young, adolescent girls.

Many artists, writers included, tend to be outliers in all kindsa ways. That just seems to be the way these things go.