So you like a Red Bull do you? Read this....

pacman

Last night on our national broadcaster, the ABC, I watched their science program 'Catalyst'. It reported on energy drinks such as Red Bull, Mother, V, etc & their effect on our health. They showed how these drinks can interfere with the electric impulses that regulate our heart. And they demonstrated how they thicken the blood making it more susceptible to clogging & sticking to our arteries.

They cited several incidents where people have had a stroke or a heart attack directly caused by drinking too much of this stuff or drinking it too quickly. The names of several teenagers who died after skulling a couple of energy drinks were given but there are suspected to be more deaths attributable to the same behaviour.

The program concluded that 1000's of people have had a serious reaction from drinking energy drinks. The danger comes from the guarana, the taurine & all the other chemicals added to the drink. Plus the artificial sweeteners. No one knows how they interact & when alcohol is added, the problem becomes worse. Guarana is very high in caffeine making each drink the equivalent of drinking 5 or more coffees. 

Drinking half a dozen Red Bulls or similar in one session places an enormous strain on the heart. The program demonstrated how the heart will stop "bouncing" back into position after each pump as quickly as it should. It is only a few milliseconds but it can start arrhythmia which leads to cardiac arrest.

Being the ABC they were very careful against calling for anything to be banned but after watching the program, I wouldn't touch the stuff if you paid me.

• Upvote 3

I am a DIET MOUNTAIN DEW man. I even have that as an AOL log in. Actually have had that for 21 years. You think I would get a royalty. " ADIETDEW@AOL.COM.  Maybe at least $100.00.

What's AOL?

Someone turned me on to the evils of guarana about 10 years ago. I still use 5 Hour Energy at times when I need a kick in the ass. Although I don't take a whole bottle. It has taurine so guess I need to do a bit of research.

Man! I forgot about 5 hour energy! I used to drink those before going mountain biking. But since I moved to BKK haven't had any biking in my life. Just work booze and sex. Horrible way to live.

But more to the topic. I read some study that says milk (cow and dairy) is not for human consumption. Then I read some stuff that shows why it is beneficial for us. It's so hard to decide what to consume or not, with all the conflicting things we hear or read or learn. 

I saw a health show that pointed to how bad eating swine is, but pig is a main staple of Thai diet. I think it boils down to moderation. Too much of anything can't be good. How much is too much? 

I was cuddling with a girl one drunken night and she wouldn't give me any, so of course I couldn't sleep. She had in the past few hours downed 6 cans of red bull that I saw. I think she had been drinking them all night. She was wacked on X I think. So she passed out cold and I could hear her heart pounding and her breathing was fast, I thought her heart would explode out of her chest. I don't understand how she could sleep.