Buddha days July 22 & 23. Bars closed. But mongering never sleeps...

pdogg

I am hoping to repeat my last years once in a lifetime event on these same Buddha days (I think)...

Not sure if I wanna try a different spot or do Koh Chang again.....

Other options:

1. Hua Hin. (kinda worried about being a dry town these days)

2. Kos Samet (never been there)

Any other ideas within a short minivan ride away would be greatly appreciated...

Here is a link to the trip report last year. 

http://www.ladyboyreview.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1446-how-to-have-a-wonderful-alcohol-ban-day/

Might also consider Vientiane or Phnom Phen

I just found out I arrive in Patts bang on Buddah Day,kind of a bummer haha! was just planning on drinking some duty free and calling few girls off my phone..will there be any bars open in patts at all? do you know if the discos open at midnight?

Some places will be open serving booze in Pattaya. Several places opened in the afternoon on Makha Bucha day back in February only to be shut down later. But it isn't really the same as having all the bars open. I read on a GG board some places are planning to open just after midnight on the 24th. Just a guess but doubt HH would be pushing the envelope on bars being open FWIW.

http://boomboomme.com/resources/holidays/thailand/%C2'>

Regarding Hua Hin, I think the restaurants can serve beer, and most of them are cheaper than the bars.  So best advice is find a restaurant with LB staff if you can and have an alternative night. :biggrin:

Not a bad Idea. I also think hotels can always serve beer. This is how all the little bars on Bukhao can do it. They are all hotels.

Haha! wow! I hope I didn't throw anyone off! I meant to post NO!! Bars are not open! Or- 'Yes they are (closed)'

My mind must have been on whatever pictures I was looking at on another thread. I think it was the Japan Newhalf thread.  :crazy:

Alternatively I believe hotel bars don't have to close, since they are taking care of foreigners that may not practice Buddha. Can anyone verify this?

Alternatively I believe hotel bars don't have to close, since they are taking care of foreigners that may not practice Buddha. Can anyone verify this?

The Pattaya Mail says that hotel bars don't have to close.

Two topics both dealing with alcohol sales have been merged. 

The Notification of the Office of the Prime Minister RE: Determination of Days of Prohibition of Alcoholic Beverage Sales (No. 2) B.E. 2552 (A.D. 2009), signed by then Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, specifically prohibits the sale of alcohol on Makha Bucha Day, Visakha Bucha Day, Asalaha Bucha Day and Buddhist Lent holidays.

From 12 a.m. July 22 until midnight July 23, it is against the law for businessmen to distribute alcohol. This includes bars and restaurants, supermarkets, convenience stores, department stores, and community retail stores. An amendment to the decree exempts hotels from the ban.

Those caught breaking the law can face up to six months in jail and fines up to 10,000 baht.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/alcohol-sales-banned-july-22-23-28508