Heroic Politicians

pdogg

Me and my good buddy Route 67 were at Martini's the other night.  They have a nice outdoor biergarten that screens movies, though the volume is too low to hear properly.   Female companionship is available but no problemo if you just want to hang out with your mates.  Ice cold mugs of draft cost the equivalent of 45 baht, a bit high for Phnom Penh but quite reasonable given the beautiful garden atmosphere.

We were watching Air Force One staring Harrison Ford.  When Air Force One is hijacked the Secret Service puts the POTUS in an escape pod (wonder if the real AF1 has one of those) but he jumps out right before ejection, as he's the type of captain that goes down with the ship.  

Now I know this is the movies, but we just couldn't imagine Clinton or Dubya doing that.

So we were shooting the shit and both agreed that Teddy Roosevelt would be the American president most likely to stay on Air Force 1 in that scenario.

I was thinking Andrew Jackson seems like a rough and tumble guy.  And George Washington supposedly crossed the Delaware standing up in his boat.

Now I'm not suggesting the a world leader shouldn't take the escape pod.  Just seems that modern world leaders and politicians would prefer putting others in harms way rather than themselves.

So who do you think would stay on da plane? 

None of the shit birds we've had in living memory would, with the possible exception of Carter. Bush the senior might surprise us though; he was a fighter pilot who saw action, after all.

Clinton would definitely take the pod, but Hillary would stay and kick ass, though, 555. I agree with Sam's list, and would argue that both Roosevelts would stay behind, although I'm not sure Franklin could do much in the way kicking terrorist ass (same same for peanut farmer Carter). Teddy though, for sure.

Truman would, he was a scrappy guy by all accounts.

Jefferson would too, I think, although again, not a noted pugilist. Ole "Tippecanoe" Harrison most definitely would. U.S. Grant, maybe, if he had his liquid courage up. Of course there were no such thing as airplanes back in their day; maybe they'd have to stay and fight the terrorists who were taking over the Presidential Airship.

Of course the ultimate in Presidential Bad Assery was Chester A. Arthur:

post-442-0-56652600-1369563061_thumb.jpg

Probably right about Andrew Jackson: he was a scrapper, glad you mentioned  GHW Bush too, I would've overlooked him but he is a war hero with balls to spare (plus he can actually pilot a plane).

What about Ike, he pushed Adolf into the bunker.

I wonder if Putin would, he has lots of macho photo ops but I think others did his manual labor, but give Yeltsin a few cocktails & he'd  fight the whole Chinese army.

I think JFK might as well, but he would be also responsible for the plane getting in trouble. in the first place