Bangkok Taxi Driver Drags Passenger Out Of Cab

pdogg

http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/taxi-passenger-dragged-out-of-car-by-driver/

At 4AM yesterday, a female tour guide filed a police report against a taxi driver accusing him of refusing to provide her service and physically assaulting her.

The incident began at a pub on Soi Sukhumvit 11 in the early hours of Jan. 6 when Kanyanat Chamwecha, a 33-year-old guide, was trying to take a taxi home. Despite the large number of cabs queuing by the sidewalk, none was willing to drive her to Sukhumvit 39.

“They were waiting only for foreign passengers since they paid more,” a furious Kanyanat told police. “I decided to call on passing taxis instead”

Finally, a taxi picked her up. She told the driver her destination but he, who was described as short and around 40 years old, made an unwilling face.

The driver carried her along Asoke Road and stopped at an intersection where Asoke met with Jaturatis Road. He then dragged her out of the backseat by her arms. In response, Kanyanat yanked off his amulet necklace as evidence and went to the Din Daeng Police Station to report his behavior.

According to DailyNews, police sent the victim to Police General Hospital for a diagnosis. Police will call in the cabbie to hear Kanyanat’s accusation, which could cost him a THB1,000 fine.

Despite the large number of cabs queuing by the sidewalk, none was willing to drive her to Sukhumvit 39.

“They were waiting only for foreign passengers since they paid more,” a furious Kanyanat told police. “I decided to call on passing taxis instead”

The beauty of BKK is there is always another taxi...another cab...another driver...

You can always get where you want to go...You just have to be a bit patient...

The ladies experience would suggest that isn't the case. But she's Thai & obviously the taxi drivers don't believe in Thai Rak Thai. (Thais love Thais)

And if they only want farang passengers, it does suggest they won't be turning the meter on. Yes, we can always get to where we want to go, we just have to be prepared to pay farang price.

Theres little or no doubt. I take the philosophy how much to go without meter or walk. Make a judgment but pre negotiate then everybody will be happy. If you get a meter you are lucky. Generally that only happens if taken from your hotel. Its funny how you get a better price when you are with your friend. What amused me was that there was one price for Thai well my Laos LB and another price for me when I visited the Elephant park & gardens near Pattaya. Imagine that happening at Thorpe Park or Chessington World of adventures that would give Nick Ferrari something to chew on. For those from foreign shores or outside the M25 he's an argumentative radio chat line jockey. Hang on tight Nick Clegg.......

• Upvote 1

I haven't had much problems getting taxis to use the meter. There are usually lots of taxis running up and down Sukhumvit with no passengers. I've flagged them down just for a short trip up Sukhumvit and the fare has been the base 35 baht plus 5 baht. Maybe I've been lucky but this all seems a bit strange to me.