Rotterdam

Lefty

Never been there Lefty, but have spent a considerable amount of time in Amsterdam and even considered living there for a few summers; I even debated buying a condo there but it was way out of my league.

Anyway, the weather in Holland is pretty bad, and only May- October would be what you'd consider "liveable", unless you want to stay inside all the time. So of course rates go up at that time, and leasing a furnished apartment would cost a pretty penny, at least 1000 Euro for a studio, 1200 or more for a 1-bedroom within the Ring. They become available because the locals go to their country homes in summer and sometimes rent their apartments out.

Food = expensive, drinks same. Nightlife= expensive, hookers same. To lead a decent life in Amsterdam I calculated I would need at least 4K US per month all in, or about 3000 Euro. Again, not sure about Rotterdam, but would assume it would be close to that for you. In reality, I'd assume most western European cities would cost about the same or even more; the conversion is against us and even if we had parity, it's just a plain expensive place to live {Europe in general}.

Since I can't afford Holland or Venice in Italy I'm considering Romania for next summer.....english widely spoken, cheaper than the west, cool history and cities, cute ladies......try getting laid in Holland without paying at our age, not happening..... also up to 3 months visa upon arrival. Holland is nice but again, make sure you have a lot of $$$.

• Upvote 1

Mr. Lefty,

I have to concur with JaiDee. I have spent (and continue to spend) a lot of time in Denmark, Sweden and Germany. It is really, really expensive. Everything. Hotels, cars, gas, food, restaurants, et cetera. And the dames are nothing to spend money on. I suspect Holland to be similar to the rest of Europe. Painfully expensive and YES the weather in northern Europe is miserable and depressing. Cold, wet, damp, windy, and not a lot of day light this time of year.

• Upvote 1

@Lefty

The Netherlands is a expensive place to live at and it is geting more expensive every year.....

I came here during the golden day`s so for me it was easy to arrange everything , those golden day`s are long gone....

If you are loaded and you just want to live here for 3 month`s and then move on , Rotterdam is for sure the place to be...

It has a lot of nightclub and nightlife , i love the mix race that live there and the Urban babe`s that you will incounter everywhere...

But if your not loaded and your planning to come and live here , then it will be very difficult and very expensive......

I personaly find the weather to be oke , also in the winter , i have seen worse.....

Greetz , stealth

• Upvote 1

I remember stopping into a Thai restaurant in Amsterdam a few years back, small place and not too fancy but in a touristy district. Ordered the Pad Thai with chicken; 18.95 Euro, or about 25 bucks! WTF.......got a coke and with tip and tax it cost me over 30 dollars. That is a typical meal in a typical restaurant; you can certainly find cheaper, but even fast food joints would cost you 10-12 US dollars for a meal.

30 bucks for a Thai meal you can get on the streets of Bangkok for a buck; welcome to Europe!

Even including Eastern Europe? Berlin is still the least expensive?

Good question.....Eastern Europe still tends to be cheaper(even if those countries have joined the EU)....I was referring to Western Europe.It has to do with the housing supply in Berlin....in East Berlin,the communists built a lot of apartment buildings,now under occupied.Even in the old West Berlin,its possible to buy an apartment from 20,000 euros(or even less).You could not for instance buy anything in that price range in Warsaw,Riga or indeed any European capital city.

Hmmm... I always thought that places like Portugal, Spain, Greece, maybe Croatia, were the cheap places to live in Europe, not so? What about Cyprus? (I wouldn't be too interested in most of eastern Europe for myself, but aren't parts of the Turkish coast cheap & welcoming?)

Hmmm... I always thought that places like Portugal, Spain, Greece, maybe Croatia, were the cheap places to live in Europe, not so? What about Cyprus? (I wouldn't be too interested in most of eastern Europe for myself, but aren't parts of the Turkish coast cheap & welcoming?)

Spain has gotta be cheap as anything now .......i should imagine greece would be bargain basement also.......I spent a couple of weeks in Zagreb once,hotels aint cheap there,dont know about long term rental...Lefty-we're moving you further and further from rotterdam -55,you'll end up back in Los!