Phnom Penh Water Festival

DownLoLarry

The Phnom Penh Water Festival is perhaps the city's most spectacular event. The 2010 Festival ended in tragedy with hundreds trampled to death in a bridge stampede I would imagine that crowd control measures will be implemented to insiure public safety on 2012.

It's been hard to find out the exact date as about 2/3 of websites list Novemeber 27-29, same time as Loy Krathong while about 1/3 list the date around the October full moon. The timing of event Water Festival coincides with Tonle Sap's current reversal.

Acela Bank says it's Nov 27-29. Here's a list of 2012 public holidays as posted on Acela's website:

Public Holidays in Cambodia for the Year 2012

January 01 International New Year Day

January 07 Victory over Genocide Day

February 07 Meak Bochea Day

March 08 International Women Day

April 13, 14, 15 Khmer New Year Day

May 01 International Labor Day

May 05 Visak Bochea Day

May 09 Royal Plowing Ceremony

May 13, 14, 15 King's Birthday, Norodom Sihamoni

June 01 International/Cambodian Children Day

June 18 King's Mother Birthday, Norodom Monineath Sihanouk

September 24 Constitutional Day

October 14, 15, 16 Pchum Ben Day

October 29 King's Coronation Day, Norodom Sihamoni

October 31 King's Father Birthday, Norodom Sihanouk

November 09 Independence Day

November 27, 28, 29 Water Festival Ceremony

December 10 International Human Rights Day

• Upvote 1

I was in PP for the Water Festival about 5 years ago. The crowds are intense. My brother lived in an apartment block on a normally quiet street in the diplomatic quarter, I remember the view from his balcony of a seething mass of people below. I also remember it taking fucking forever to get anywhere due to the crowds. I'm glad I experienced it once but would probably avoid it in future.

• Upvote 2

yes PP gets very crowded, I live there for 3 years, most expats avoid being in PP for the water festival.

Between 2 and 3 million cambodians come the capital, so it becomes impossible to move around, and it usually is a very rainy week end, the last one before the dry season starts.....

• Upvote 1