Posted some of this on another board but figured some of you high-falutin' artiste types over here might have something to say about this topic regarding upcoming works from my two favorite directors - Tarantino and P.T. Anderson

I'll be the first to admit that having seen "Inglorious Basterds" at a midnight showing on it's opening night I was dismally disappointed. Are we seeing the descent of one of the great cinematic talents from his previous dizzying heights after "Reservoir Dogs", "Pulp Fiction", "Jackie Brown" and the "Kill Bill" saga? I can also admit that although I did enjoy parts of "Death Proof", that was more down to being a fan of cult cinema and z-grade 70's horror than to any of the usual Tarantino magic. You must admit that Zoe was fantastic in that though, especially after considering she's actually just a stunt girl and not a trained actress.

I have high hopes for his new "Django Unchained" project, but if it's another dud I might start to think the critics that say the Emperor is actually naked might be on to something.

My other favorite director - P.T. Anderson - has had me a bit worried lately. After loving "Boogie Nights" and "Magnolia" he came out with the turd that was "Punch Drunk Love". I hoped that his next picture would return him to glory, and although "There WilL Be Blood" was loved by the critics I hated it. Unremittingly grim and the antithesis of "entertainment" in my book.

His next project has me full of hope though - he's completed his long-awaited (thinly veiled) biodrama about L.Ron Hubbard entitled "The Master". Scientology has tried it's hardest to have the project shut down and nearly succeeded on a couple of attempts, but he's finally completed principal photography. Trailers have been popping up on YouTube unannounced and so far it looks fantastic. Not going to hit theaters until October 12 but it should be worth the wait. Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams... and I just read that this is the first film shot in native 65mm in over 15 years. Whoo hoooo!

As a quick digression, the last film shot native in 65mm was "Far And Away", the Ron Howard project starring Tom Cruise. And THAT was the first film shot in the format since David Lean's "Ryan's Daughter" back at the dawn of the 70's. The other 70mm movies you think you saw since then - Blade Runner, Alien, Star Wars, Close Encounters - they were all shot in 35mm and blown up to 70mm for special runs. And trust me - seeing a film projected in 70mm that was filmed on 70mm (or 65mm) negatives is vastly different from seeing a 35mm film blown up for 70mm projection.

This all bodes well for "The Master".

[media=]

• Upvote 1

Well,good luck to anyone who has anything bad to say about Scientology.....especially in Hollywood.

Tarantino's the biggest fraud of all time.RD and JB were decent films,I loved Pulp Fiction,but even then ,Tarantino had to give himself a cameo role,and who da fug told him he could act! It would have been a better film without him in it.The kill bill movies were crap,just juvenile....with blood.

I hated that inglorious b'startds.....he glamourises violence,and his characters are always caricatures,he even made Brad Pitt look like a shit actor(he isnt imo) .There were a cuople of good scenes in it,but overall disappointing.

I hope Tarantinos star HAS waned...in short,he's a talentless twat-imo.

Nice trailers DT....especially the master...phil hoffman can do no wrong in my book......I was less taken with tarantinos offering....God ,he must hate being white........

Thanks for this info dt, I'm ambivalent about Tarantino, think Dogs & PF are brilliiant, the Chris Walken scene about the wristwatch is a classic short film all on it's own... couldn't bring myself to watch Inglorious Basterds since the trailers looked truly awful. He has to move beyond his infatuation with junk culture & dig a bit below that surface to mature a bit, hope he does.

PT Anderson, along with the Coen brothers, is one of the most interesting out there, Magnolia & Boogie Nights were brilliant, & I liked There Will be Blood, but not as much as the others. Taking on Scientology is brave, I guess it will be like The Godfather where the actual name of the organization (Mafia) is never uttered?

L Ron actually lived in hiding very close to where I am now in what are described his "lost months" which the church apparently describes as him being held by the CIA.

Interesting footnote: a young Hubbard belonged to a pseudo Satanic sex ritual temple affiliated with Aliester Crowley along with one Jack Parsons who invited him to live in his house in Pasadena. Hubbard eventually split with Parson's girlfriend, his money & stole his boat docked in Florida. Parsons went on to invent solid rocket fuel & then the Jet Propulsion Lab in CA, in many ways he was father to the American space program. Unfortunately his house blew up a few years later. :rolleye0012:

Footnote #2: Joanquin Phoenix was raised as a child in one of the most extreme of religious cults, the Children of God, I'm sure he relates to the material.

Lokking forward to seeing it.

• Upvote 1