Secrets Bar In Pattaya Busted; Farang Manager Arrested

pdogg

Secrets Bar, Walking Street Soi 14 was busted and Larry, a farang manager who everyone seems to like, was arrested in a prostitution sting operation.

Secrets is a well run bar and guesthouse, a mellow operation with coyote dancers and good food. Their business model includes a very popular Pattaya Forum driving customers to their hotel and bar. No ladyboys but pleasant nonetheless.

Perhaps part of the problem stems from the on premises guesthouse which is indeed a guesthouse and has quite reasonable rates. I suppose the guesthouse can be construed as shortime rooms though that's not the intention. most guests stay a week or longer.

LBR wishes the best of luck to Secrets and to Larry, a helluva nice guy, in this situation.

The irony is that I've never seen anyone of the Secrets staff appear underage and it's really a very tame place by Pattaya standards, a place to chill out and where Secret's FM's hang out.

I have not seen this being reported anywhere by online media. Is it shown anywhere? I imagine the fullest story is on Secrets forum but I cannot access that from the laptop I have with me.

As to the why's and where's - its probably anyone's guess. A lot of it will depend upon which police are undertaking the arrest. BKK police are often blamed but its rare for them to go down to Pattaya and normally when they do, they are looking at venues with rooms which would follow the comment Pdogg made. Having said that, its not exactly an obvious easy to spot target so maybe someone put them onto it - who really knows.

I have not seen this being reported anywhere by online media. Is it shown anywhere? I imagine the fullest story is on Secrets forum but I cannot access that from the laptop I have with me.

A lot of it will depend upon which police are undertaking the arrest.

Always like it when LBR has a scoop! Makes me feel like Jimmy Olsen, cub reporter, for the Daily Planet. :biggrin:

My source is pretty good on this one. Hear that besides the farang manager, one of the Thai mamasans was also arrested.

Believe it was a special unit of the Bangkok police.

Will post more details as they become known.

Threads briefly appear on Secrets then get deleted. Certainly don't blame them as no good can come of a public discussion on their forum about this matter.

Does anybody know if Secrets was using the pricing scheme that Pooks Bars do? The one where the bar charges an all-inclusive rate for short-time on the premises?

We've heard guys scream bloody murder about the Pook scheme, but I've been told it's far more prevalent in the GG go-go's.

This of course crosses the line from "he's paying to borrow a girl from the bar" to blatant prostitution by the bars.

As far as I know Secrets had the typical barfine scheme, maybe 400 baht, to compensate the bar because she would not be working if she left with a customer.

Secrets is a very tame place compared to most WS establishments.

But having farang managers, albeit with proper work permits, made them an easy target. Having a forum associated with the bar also made them an easy target.

Perhaps there were other factors, I dunno.

Here is a link to the story.

http://pattaya-times.com/a7747-secrets-bar-hotel-raid-leads-to-foreign-manager-s-arrest

In a related article, it's mentioned that the mother of all crackdowns against farang barowners in Pattaya is coming in July.

The silence about this topic in other forums is deafening. There seems to be a joint effort to not distribute the news.

From the news article it seems that Larry was setup by the cops. I bet that normally he never touches the money but the cop shoved it in his hands and Larry being the nice guy didn't refuse but took care of the customer in a gracious way.

A lesson for all managers.