TAKE CARE! Safe sex project of Pattaya

KenW

TAKE CARE! Is a volunteer charity project, formed in 2005, at the initiative of Dr Philippe Seur.

Their mission is to help prevent the spread of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections by empowering and enabling service workers to practice safe sex. Prevention, they suggest, is vastly more cost effective and humane than is treatment.

Safe sex packs (2 condoms, 1 sachet lube) are regularly provided to gay venues free of charge for use by their staff.

Funds are generated through donations and fund raising events. All funds go directly to the purchase and distribution of safe sex packs in and around Pattaya.

www.takecarepattaya.com

Take Care certainly makes a difference. SWING and Sisters are also note worthy of mention.

SWING

Sisters:

Bangkok Post - November 1, 2005

"Sisters," the first counselling centre for transgenders in Thailand, was launched in Pattaya yesterday. Located on Soi Yensabai in South Pattaya, the non-profit centre is a branch of the Washington-based Population Services International (PSI). Its objective is to provide information and activities that benefit members both in their daily life as well as in HIV prevention.

PSI deputy country representative Olivier Le Touze said transgenders in Thailand are both highly vulnerable and underserved. "There are other programmes targeting men who have sex with men (MSM), but none ever targeting transgenders. Besides, transgenders have very specific issues relating to stigma, discrimination, their own behaviours, and self-esteem that could put them at risk of HIV infection."

PSI chose Pattaya as its first branch in Thailand because of its large population of transgenders - about 700-1,000 and rising to 1,300 during peak tourist season. Despite their high number, there were no particular aid services for them before.

All staff members are transgenders themselves, and the centre's name "Sisters" is meant to give the impression that once they step inside, they are all like sisters.

"Here I can dress the way I like, be who I am, and I know everyone will understand me,"said Jumpol "King" Sritala, 22, a peer educator at the centre.

King is a veterinary graduate from Chiang Mai's Mae Jo University. She had applied for work at a few private companies before but they all rejected her, saying her hair was too long or that they didn't think she was fit for the job.

King eventually landed a job at a pharmacy in Pattaya but the office dress code made her feel uneasy.

"I had to wear a shirt and slacks, pull my hair back, and was not allowed to put on a makeup. Of course, I could follow the dress code, but that's not me. When I heard about the centre, I thought it's interesting and it's also a chance to help others," said King, in a white T-shirt and jeans and with her long hair streaming down her back. "I want society to accept that transgenders can also work like others, men and women. We don't like discrimination and always wish to be part of society," she said.

Sitthiphan Boonyapisomparn, Sisters operation supervisor, said the centre provides counselling for drop-in visitors as well as an outreach programme for those at workplaces and young people wandering around Pattaya.

Four staff members are assigned for the drop-in service and 15 others for outreach activities. They give advice about sex-change surgery, tips for hormone taking, safe sex practices, as well as stress relief tips for those facing social stigma and discrimination."Use of condoms is one of the major problems among transgenders. Although most of them know well about HIV/Aids and how to prevent it, it happens that they rarely put it into practice. Most often we find they don't use condoms with their regular partners,"said Sitthiphan.

The centre's services also include mental and health counselling, and recreational activities such as cooking and makeup classes, reading, chatting, as well as necessary medical services. HIV testing will soon be available.

Korakoch Singmuang, Sisters drop-in supervisor, said the centre currently has 113 registered members. There is only one rule - they are not allowed to bring along their male partners.

"We want to keep it the safest place for transgenders, so they will feel safe, relaxed and comfortable whenever they come here," said Korakoch.