10 Years of the Smartphone. Game Changer?

The first iPhone appeared in the summer of 2007, and communications as we know it would never be the same again. It spawned a generation of similar smartphones, with Samsung being the main competitor.  I reckon it's now almost impossible to go anywhere in a populated area these days without seeing people staring into their phone screens.  

So what are the general views on this social change in the way we interact and behave.  Maybe some of you are still using a basic Nokia type phone, cutting edge 15 years ago but considered by many as stone age now.  Could you even live without a smartphone these days?

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, bumblebee said:

I reckon it's now almost impossible to go anywhere in a populated area these days without seeing people staring into their phone screens.  

I only recently started using a smartphone.  In the past, I've been in situations where I'd want to get home so I could get online. 

What I like best is eating out alone and having something to occupy my time until my food arrives.

I guess it makes us more anti-social but let's face it, many people would rather be online than making inane smalltalk.

6 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

I guess it makes us more anti-social

The amount I times I have seen couples out and about, glued to their screens rather than actually talking to each other, is a real indication of how the phone controls our behaviour.  There is nothing quite as irritating as sitting with someone and you are aware they have one eye on their handset while they chat to you.  Of course sometimes it's unavoidable if they are expecting and important message.  

I think there great for filling in time when your alone and outside and wonderful for hunting chicks on a night out, saves a lot of leg work and sweat.

i love my iPad at home it does all things I need.

socially they expose a persons lack of social skills and interest in u, if they need to use it while your trying to chat. My reason for seeing people is so I can learn from them and have fun.

• Upvote 2