Soft Phone VOIP Calling

randiuno

Does anyone know whether the Cambodian ISP's that supply Wi-Fi services in hotels and bars block VOIP calling from softphones such as Skype and Toktumi. I would love to simply use my VOIP number on my cell phone to place Wi-Fi calls both back home (free), and in Cambodia ($0.03 per minute), and in Thailand ($0.10 per minute).

Any assistance and info on this would be great. Also, do I need to pre-book a midrange hotel in Siem Reap before I arrive. I am planning on being in Cambodia during the first two weeks of December. I wanted to have a flexible schedule and didn't want to be tied down to a particular location on a particular day.

Thanks

I don't have a 'Soft Phone', but I've experienced no issues with Skype on a laptop from Cambodia, either wired or WiFi.

Don't forget, it is not the ISP which provides WiFi, they provide the whole internet service. Having WiFi available or not depends on the customer's choice (e.g. the hotel) and what equipment they have and whether they wish to make it freely available to their customers and clientel or to charge for it.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the the forum Randiuno! :drinks:

Hope you enjoy! :D

Don't have a smartphoe so can't answer the first question. My guess is that th first two weeks of December would not require reservations.

If you are looking for hotels in the 35 USD range then Ta Prohm is a good choice.

http://www.taprohmhotel.com/index.html

Know this is not what you're asking but when I call from my computer to phones throughout the world using Yahoo Voice, it's2 cents a minute to the USA, to Thailand is 10 cents a minute, and to Cambodia is 22 cents a minute.

Thanks Dixon,

You answered my question...the fact that you can use Skype from your laptop is confirmation. Appreciate it.

R

I don't have a 'Soft Phone', but I've experienced no issues with Skype on a laptop from Cambodia, either wired or WiFi.

Don't forget, it is not the ISP which provides WiFi, they provide the whole internet service. Having WiFi available or not depends on the customer's choice (e.g. the hotel) and what equipment they have and whether they wish to make it freely available to their customers and clientel or to charge for it.

PDogg,

Thanks for the welcome. I have already gotten a ton of useful info. A friend of mine who goes to the Philipines often says once I hit Southeast Asia, I'll be ruin fcr life! Let's hope so.

Anyway, it looks like VOIP access works.

Thanks.

Welcome to the the forum Randiuno! :drinks:

Hope you enjoy! :D

Don't have a smartphoe so can't answer the first question. My guess is that th first two weeks of December would not require reservations.

If you are looking for hotels in the 35 USD range then Ta Prohm is a good choice.

http://www.taprohmhotel.com/index.html

Know this is not what you're asking but when I call from my computer to phones throughout the world using Yahoo Voice, it's2 cents a minute to the USA, to Thailand is 10 cents a minute, and to Cambodia is 22 cents a minute.

• 9 months later...