Changing Philippine Pisos To Baht

Pdoggg

I've noticed at exchange kiosks there is a tight buy/sell spread for USD and other major currencies but a very wide spread for less traded currencies.

If going from the Philippines to Thailand should one:

1) Change money in the Philippines

2) Change money in Thailand.

3) Change Pisos to USD in the Philippines then change USD to Baht in Thailand.

My guess is that choice 3 wins but I really don't know.

And I would imagine that it is a similar scenario if traveling from the Philippines to other ASEAN countries such as Singapore or Malaysia.

I guess Cambodia is an exception in that many things that a tourist would do is priced in USD so therefore one would change Pisos to USD in the Philippines and spend the dollars in Cambodia.

Anyone know?

@PDoggg

For the last two years i dont do exchange here at home , i will take my € " Euro " with me and exchange it in the country i am at that moment , i will have only some lose change like 5000 php or bath with me for taxi or food.....

The exchange rate that you have here at the banks are ridiculously high.....

Greetz , Stealth

Yes it's #3. I always take extra currency home with me so that a have a little when I arrive next trip. But it's been so long since I was in PI that my old PI money will need to be turned in at the bank next year for new PI money. But that is an unusual event. 

I keep my extra Philippine Pesos for my next trip there. But for some one not returning to the Phils I recommend:

1 Change your PHP pesos to your home currency before departing

2 If you are going to Thailand, I've found a couple of places (Bangkok, Pattaya) that offer reasonable exchange rate from PHP pesos to Thai Baht