Broken Hearts And Empty Wallets

pdogg

I think so as well, and I learned to say it on my 2nd trip to Thailand many moons ago when I shacked up with a gorgeous little LB for the week down on Phuket. Of course I was paying her all along, not making her rich {I was a broke backpacker back then!} but paying for her time and all food and drinks, the rooms, etc.....and she was in no hurry to leave.

Anyway, on or about the last day she asked me if I could give her some money to send back to her mom in the country to "repair her roof", which apparently was leaking. Still being new to the scene and not yet aware of the stories [read; lies] some of these girls will tell to get money out of us, I still found it an odd request; as in, why on earth would I help your mom repair her roof? The girl would have had a better chance - but still would have failed - had she just said "I need money to pay the rent and buy some drinks and food for myself after you leave." 

Anyway, I told her no, not my problem; she was sad for about 5 seconds then it passed.

Straight to the point is the best policy !!!

I have gone native :)

I am always observing the Thais and listening to them talk among themselves- and seldom are they direct when there is a possibility of giving offence.

I try to tell them no and get them to laugh at the same time :)