Anti-Virus, Or No?

JaiDee

Ok..

so then... basically from what RX and Jaidee says and taking into account everything said here im wasting my hard earned on McAffee and might as well get the free Microsoft Anti Virus suite or some other Freebie . 

After all they must be as good as McAfee ,,,right.  

I had this vision off like 200 boffins working in a futuristic McAffe lab working 24/7 to keep the VOIVOD worm from fucking my business up. thats why its expensive so i assumed

Also i wonder why them clowns write these viruses . maybe Obama should point them drones elsewhere

I was a bit hesitant after reading about the frreebies on this thread as well......I figured 50 bucks is a small price to pay to pay to be protected, on all three computers, so I stuck with Norton as they have done me well in years past.

Doesn't seem to be slowing things down one bit, Kaspersky slowed it to a crawl.

Guest JustSumGai

i'm on Linux mostly, but for XP agree with Avast. For the first ten yrs online (almost) I didn't even run an AV program. As to slowing down the puter...it can be in the settings. If you have it checking EVERYthing, emails, browsing, chat, etc. it can do that for sure Zone Alarm is ok but I like the old stand alone Comodo firewall, NOT the "suite".

Linux LXPup and a few others will load up and run on a 1 gig memory. Set the puter to boot from USB and bingo. I've got 4, 2 on 4 gig usb sticks and 2 on 16 in case I want to put movies or something. It's a REAL learning curve tho. 2 of em are actually backup early versions. When I got em to how I liked em, I left em alone. Start fast, run fast as ALL the OS is running from RAM and no worries about AV proggies. Gots me browser, email, irc, mp3 players, the video players are a bit weak tho.

I use Linux as my gatekeeper. If I want to run XP on this puter I just shut down, remove the USB and BINGO, I got XP. LxPup don't put anything on the hard drive.

Malware bytes anti malware is VERY GOOD. Also piriform Defraggler beats MS defrag ten times over. Another thing that'll help the puter run nice is CCleaner.

Eventually guys that can't write code and websites with too much horseshit on em will cause an old chip to lag. But linux run off a USB stick can make a puter with NO hard drive work.  Favored for old puters.  I'm liking Mint 17 MATE a lot lately, using it more than XP.  Being FREE don't hurt either.

• Upvote 1