Cost of living for a longer period

Topcat72m

Keep in mind during Sinulog festival in Cebu prices for hotelrooms  go double price or even triple.    And  all places are fuly booked during that time  from 5 star hotel to budget lodge. So book in advance your hotelrooms

Im planning to have a condo or apartment for all but the first week of my stay.

Greetings   Hefe  ! ! 

Any particular reason for  the Mediterranean region ?  if you dont mind me asking

Hi saab, no problem...

I have kind of ignored Europe, except for Ireland, for the last 20 years while I have been going to SE Asia most years.  I want to check back in to some places that I saw once a long time ago, I remember being impressed by Croatia back when it was still Yugoslavia, & visit a few I have never seen: Spain (believe it or not), Portugal, Greek islands. I also like Med style food! 

This past weekend I came across an old beer stein that I got in Germany decades ago, I remembered the local inn that we stayed at was built in the 16th century, an stunning fact for someone from the New World, & had it's own in house brewery. I googled it & it is still there, the dining room looks the same but they have become quite the boutique brewery with hats & t shirts & a web site.

I have no immediate plans but it will start to get cold here soon...

I'm planning to pull the trigger next year around the June time frame...one bedroom in central pattaya and travel Thailand and the Philippines for a few years....I'm working on a $5000 a month budget and it's got me a little nervious...I just know how I am...getting caught up in the day to day bars and BFs....hopefully I'll work it out and not get too crazy but there's always BMs in town and an party somewhere and I just can't past up a good party...Hawk

• 10 months later...

Im new here so I wish to apologize if this is a wrong topic.

I will be early retired from my job in a year. Im making plans to get more work but in also considering my other options. I like the idea of spending some. Time travelling around SE Asia. My pension will be approx $1500pm depending on exchange rates.

I know its not a huge sum but i see other sites saying its enough.

would that be enough to live on PI for a few months. What kind of lifestyle would it provide.

$1,500 is very doable TC, there is a huge difference between being a two week millionaire and a long term expat. Any fool can blow 5 to 10k baht per day but 99.9% can  not maintain that level of spending for long.

I've spent as little as $10,000 USD/year and never felt deprived, but I could afford to spend more, it was my choice. Just keep an adequate reserve, in case you have a medical emergency or exchange rates go against you.

PD is a good guy with good value tips, so I heed his advice.  

I had a couple of nice Thai GFs and they actually saved me money, in that they always worked at regular jobs so I wasn't sponsoring them. I paid for their meals etc when we went out, but they would guide me to inexpensive local restaurants and markets.

At the end of the day you can spend as much -or little- as you want.

Good luck buddy!

• Upvote 2