Two new Philippines Movies about Ladyboys

dazedandconfused

Recently released or just about to be released are two new independent movies about ladyboy life in the Philippines:

'Shunned' came out last May and broadly follows the trials and tribulations of being a ladyboy in the capital City.  It also had a screening at the Cannes Film Festival.

The interesting thing for some of us is that many of the girls featured will be recognised by anyone who has spent any time at Mixed Nuts / Birdies Cage in Manila during the past few years. One of the main actresses (ahem) is Mimi Juareza who until relatively recently was the slightly strict Mamasan (aka Mama Mimi) at Birdies Cage.  Her good friend, and also erstwhile Birdies Cage regular, Katrina is in the movie too.  Here are a couple of links:

https://www.facebook.com/Shunned

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3007422720/tt2826512?ref_=tt_ov_i

Possibly of more err...critical interest is 'Quick Change' which gets released here later this month. Mimi takes the lead role and looks very fine.  In the trailer link below she is the one in the leopard skin print dress, in the blue top and later seen administering the drugs.  

Mimi and Katrina have been on the scene for a long time. They are both cool ladies, good people and it's great that they are both getting some work outside of the usual grind.....

https://www.facebook.com/QuickChangeTheMovieCinemalaya2013

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

@D&C

Thankx for the headup on these two movies.....

Very interesting , looking foward to see them , i also notice that some very familiar faces are present in the trailers.....

And i can see the name of my lovely ladyboy friend ( Fiona Solis ) on the poster of Shunned.

I will post my personal feedback later when i have seen these movies....

Greetz , Stealth

• 11 months later...

Janice Villarosa – Director – Shunned

One day director Janice Villarosa realized she had an inaccurate conception of the transexual people living in the Philippines, that is what prompted her to shoot this film which finally sheds some light on a huge taboo subject.

Festival section: Documentary Competition

I'm baaaaccckkk New York!!! I can't wait to see family and friends. I can't wait to see everyone at Long Island International Film Expo. Absolutely this festival. Met so many wonderful, amazing beautiful people who are now a part of me. Because of them, I met the amazing team of the next feature film I am producing: The Next Page. I am also so grateful and honored that they will have the American premiere of Shunned --July 13th at 6:45pm. Excited for both films!!

post-665-0-11275000-1405031508_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1