HIV in Thailand

beijo

As published in the Bangkok Post on Dec 2/2012

Hiv infection rate on rise among gay men

The HIV infection rate among MSMs has increased 11% between 1987 and 2011 and is continuing to rise, Narong Sahamethapat, permanent secretary for public health, said Saturday.

He warned HIV-positive people in the MSM group also have a high risk of anal cancer.

"A low level of CD4 ( a type of immune cell wich is targeted by the HIV virus) in some HIV-positive people will make it more easy for cancer cells to develop," Dr. Narong said.

The Thai Red Cross tracked 174 MSM cases from Jan 2007 to April 2008 and found 118 men or 67.8% contracted HIV. Forty percent of those infected with HIV had also contracted the human papilloma virus, wich is associated with anal cancer.

According to the Public Health Ministry, Thailand records about 9,470 new case of HIV a year, with 80% contracting the virus from having unsafe sex.

The ministry has recorded a total of 464,414 people living with HIV/Aids.

Two Thais are infected with HIV every hour, the Thai Red Cross Society said on Saturday.

Cancer cells can start up anywhere. And anal cancer is one of the nastiest forms of cancer. I am not implying there are any good types of cancer to get but I read about what happens with cancer of the anus & it is bloody horrible.

I'll spare everyone the details but dignity is one of the first casualties.

I had to google MSM, an acronym I am unfamiliar with. "Men who have Sex with Men" is what it stands for. Interesting that they don't just call them "gay men". Have I missed something?