Wine/Booze

SiamSam

Recently purchased a French white chardonnay.

NUDANT 2011

Bourgogne Haute-Cotes de Nuits

I'll let you know what it was like after the contents disappear.

I had it. It's done, consumed, finished, gone. It was very good and I drank the entire bottle by myself while wondering about how long "Now" is.

Do any of you know how long "now" is?

I read "now" is 3 to 5 seconds in length. Not longer. That duration is interesting because it is the same length of time a fish's memory lasts. You average aquarium fish has a memory span of 3 to 5 seconds. After that it is all new to them again. I suppose this is why they can swim around in circles, visit the same rock, and think its interesting. There's something to be said about that.

And no, I am not posting drunk!!!

:biggrin:

Not at all under the influence of anything other than my own quiet moments of introspection, navel picking and pondering questions like past, present, and future. Everyone speaks of past, present, and future but not about NOW. Present for me does not encompass or include NOW. Present is today, this week, this month, this year in our lives.

As you've noted there are many "nows" in our use of it in our language. However this is not my slant. It is not language or the use of the word. It is simply what is NOW and how long does it last?

I just asked if NOW needs to be defined physically. I like the fish NOW kinda things. Makes sense to me. I was just petitioning others to comment. But then again, perhaps this a one of those philosophical banters that me and Kahuna need to ponder and wrestle with. If so, we'll do it and get back to the rest of you.

It happens. I'm sorry to hear it, I have a friend with weeks to live & we shared many bottles of good wine. Both here & in Italy. I will ring him in the next hour & remind him of those good times. It's always hard to make these phone calls but I have to do it.

Make the phone call my friend and please keep making them...

I just asked if NOW needs to be defined physically. I like the fish NOW kinda things. Makes sense to me. I was just petitioning others to comment. But then again, perhaps this a one of those philosophical banters that me and Kahuna need to ponder and wrestle with. If so, we'll do it and get back to the rest of you.

Everyone can define NOW Sam...Most simply don't want to...

Please visit the wine/booze thread and send me some good Australian white wine recommendations unless you feel that is an oxymoron. :biggrin:

So far I have not had a bottle of New Zealand wine that disappointed. However there have been numerous lacklustre Australians. That is not to say there hasn't been excellent Australian bottles also but the choice is vast compared to NZ and often times it's a crap shoot with your country.

I have moved your query to the wine thread & will attempt to answer you Sam.

I have the identical problem you have except for me, it is reversed with New Zealand wines. The only guide I have to go on is price. And that isn't always reliable. We have all heard of the bargain wine that was nicer to drink than something selling for twice the price.

I don't know what labels you have to choose from but many of the wines bottled for export are not available here. I suppose you have Jacobs Creek & Yellowtail, they are shipped in big numbers & represent "reasonable" value. Though you can imagine my surprise when I saw Jacobs Creek on sale in Norway for $125 when I knew the same wine here was selling for about $6.

The main reason I don't have names for you Sam is that I shop for boutique wineries. They tend to have limited quantities of each vintage that are far more market sensitive to price, thus making them more likely to represent value. I have had some luck following that tactic but the low volumes involved make these wines unsuitable for export.

I was at a gathering on Friday night where I saw first hand the disparity in wine prices I am talking about. One chap offered a nice wine that cost him $15. There were three of us & we all agreed it was most pleasant. The other guy then opened a bottle insisting we would be surprised by the quality. From an unheard of winery, it was indeed nice. Then he dropped the news that he had paid the princely sum of $8 for it. As it was nicer than the first wine, it was great value. He then told us he had bought it online by the carton. winemarket.com.au was the seller & they are changing the way we here buy wine. They shift so much of the stuff that Australia's largest seller of wine bought the site last year for a reported 600+ million dollars.

There is another problem with using price as a predictor of quality. There's no way of knowing what mark-up is being used by the importer. Once a label gets a following, like night follows day, the price will go up. But the quality isn't guaranteed to improve every year. Quite the reverse. The famous red wines of South Australia had their reputation dented last year by very high temperatures around harvest time. Many of the top wineries have not produced their flagship label for 2011. The word has got around & people are avoiding many of the 2011 reds from that part of the world because they are average at best & somewhat less than average at worst.

I bet the importers of these wines won't be passing on any savings to unsuspecting overseas buyers. This is how a countries reputation for fine wine can be trashed. They will seek out the labels they have come to trust only to be disappointed. It's a damn shame but that's the commercial reality of the global wine business.

I just had the call I have been expecting. He's gone. It will hit me later, at the moment I am just pleased his ordeal is over.

Really sorry Paccie...Wish I did but I ain't got the magic words...It does all heal up in time though...

Leaves a little scar as a reminder...Reminders are very good things...

Really sorry Paccie...

Thanks. Don't be sorry, it was a blessing.

Wish I did but I ain't got the magic words...

Don't we all. I had to ring his wife. I gave her the lame "I never know what is appropriate to say at these times" line. It seems that was enough. People don't want sermons, they just like to know you care.

It does all heal up in time though...

Yes I know. I have been saying that most my life. Time fixes everything. Thanks for taking the trouble to tell me again though, it tells me more about you than anything else.

SS I knew you would likely be a gentleman that likes the finer things in life. Wines yes now their a complete science in their own right. Alcohol an interesting fuel. Personally I love it at the right time. As I get older however it takes its toll. I bashed it hard over about 15 years being 30 to 45. Mostly drinking English Ales. Now they are an acquired taste. Perhaps the finest form of booze on the planet but they need to be handled with care. Finding a Pub yes a place that sells beer to drink on the premises in England and one that keeps its Ale in good condition is a rare thing. Ale Real Ale that is has to be laid down, to allow the yeast to settle. This takes a few days, it also has to be kept at the correct temperature. The pipes which it flows through need to be regularly cleaned and it has to be drunk from the correct receptacle. If all these conditions are kept to its probably one of the finest pleasures man can enjoy apart from perhaps walking into Nana for the very first time.

Those following real ales look out for accreditation being either CAMRA ( Campaign for real ale ) or Cask Marque. The second being my preference. Should you gentleman visit our shores follow these rules and you should get a bloody good pint. Oh and if they have one ask for a NONIC glass. Sadly this is being ruined by Euro Fizz and the large breweries selling bright fizzy beer or Larger. Not my cup of Tea but in Los I settle for Tiger Light. It seems to work but I do wonder what is put in it, as after the third bottle and the toilet is visited. Bubbles in my urine, I'm not doing the washing up.

Finally some of the finest are amongst the names of, Courage Best, Hogs Back Brewery T, London Pride, Youngs Special & Ordinary blended known as Mixed. The Sauvignon Blanc is Saint Austell's Tribute a Cornish brew, thats my tickle in heaven.

Woo Hoo!!! Charlie!

I take your beer lecture seriously. Thank you.

Just so you know there will be a day, hopefully in the not too distant future, when I will arrive in your handsome country for a night or two or three and I will petition thee to smother me with your best. Be it wine, beer, or feather ass tickling. You're an extraordinary fellow. Not to be entirely wasted on what you hold dear.

XO

My choice for this evening...I'm out of tequila and rum...A California Pinot Noir from Barefoot Winery down in the Valley...It bears a sticker proclaiming that it is the Gold Medal Winner of the prestigious 2011 Pacific Rim International Wine Competition...It is really nice...You'll notice that it is almost gone...Sent to the bottom of my stomach...Very inexpensive also...My daughter arrives tomorrow so I might just buy a second bottle or two...

I ain't much of a beer guy Charlie...I much prefer tropical booze and wine but I do like a bottle of Newscastle...That is a tasty brew...

post-80-23160.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Had a miserable day at work. If I had a gun and knew how to use it I couldva gone postal.

Decided to relax so bought, chilled, and am in the midst of consuming a Pinot Grigio 2011 called Cavallina. Hum-dinger of a tasty white. It's from Sicily and excellent for the money. Thought of you all so decided to let you know.

Keep you stick on the ice.

Had a bottle of MONKEY BAY Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough New Zealand. Quite good. The label says: "Best shared with friends." I waited but nobody showed up. So I drank it. :-)

The bottle also says it contains milk, fish, and sulphites. Sulphites I understand but milk and fish?!!? Bizarre.