RIP Norma Jean

Lefty

It was 50 years ago today 8-5-62, that Marilyn passed from this earth. When I think about her it still makes me sad that such a wonderful, intelligent and beautiful human being was taken from us at such a young age. RIP Norma Jean, I'll never forget you. I still cannot watch this video without getting a lump in my throat.

[media=]

[/media]
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

An iconic figure who ended so sadly, a real shame.

I have a bit of a Marilyn story.... If you don't mind I'll share it, just between us, since it's too good to keep to myself.

Almost exactly 25 years ago (gulp...) I found myself standing at a tree filled cul de sac in Brentwood CA where Marilyn's home was, talking with a guy who claimed to be one of the ambulance drivers sent on her last night. I didn't know whether that was the truth or not but he was spinning a good yarn. Then the gate to the house started opening & a young woman walked towards us.

I expected to get the bum's rush & notified that cops were en route, but she was moving out that day because she had broken up with her boyfriend who owned the house now. We explained our interest in MM &, unbelievably, she invited us in, past the gates & the front driveway to the left side of the house. She was nursing a bit of attitude toward the ex & probably figured he wouldn't approve.

What I can still remember is my companion becoming very excited & describing how the ambulance drove to the house that night & the housekeeper opened up a door, not the front door but one that opened right into Marilyn's bedroom from the front drive (this was a cottage type dwelling, not the big Hollywood star residence I had expected). The young girl was getting caught up now in this "re-enactment" & let us in the bedroom door & my companion was excitedly describing his version of what supposedly happened there that night. At this point he seemed pretty plausible.

My biggest take away was how small the house, or cottage actually, was. Nothing at all like I had imagined for one of the biggest stars of the era. There was a very small pool out back. Her bedroom was very small & dark... I think there was one window for the front & there had to be one for the back since that's how I saw the pool. Just enough room for a double bed & a single dresser really. The walls were dark, grayish, I can't remember but I think they were stone walls.

I recall being stunned at the modest size & proportions of it all, my parents' very simple home in the suburbs was as big. On reflection I am saddened to think that here Marilyn was, one of the biggest stars in Hollywood, all alone with nobody around save her housekeeper, no friends to call on the phone & that's how she left this life, in this tiny dark room.

• Upvote 2