I was not thinking today and opened up the sign on page and, instead of putting in my name and password, just clicked on the "take me to message board" shortcut - which it did.

Somewhat surprised, I then clicked on one topic to which I am contributing and it opened up. This alarmed me since anybody who knows me, my style of writing and/or travel plans could make an educated guess as to who was writing under the name Rick Shaw. I then removed all cookies (just in case this allowed the access) and tried again and, sure enough, I could open up my thread.

Now, you could argue that the chances of this being done by anyone who knows me are remote except:

1. Although I am reasonably good at deleting cookies, I don't do it every time; anyone could check my cookie list (and although this is my private computer, other family members do use it) and could follow the cookie trail. I could bluster my way out of having the cookie on the machine, but it would be infinitely more difficult to do if I was identified as one of the contributors and impossible to allay suspicion should my thread contain references to sexual activity with an LB!

2. My thread title is Diving in the Philippines. The diving world is not that big and again suspicion would be aroused if a diver that I knew and who knew my past travel patterns (and I talk about diving overseas a lot with other divers) happened across this thread

3. Could the title be picked up by a search engine? Diving in the Philippines is a common search question and if the thread is open to all, could this happen?

I tried the same thing on LBP and it does not allow non-members access to the individual threads. My own view is that this is a huge hole in the security of this forum and, more importantly, in the security of individual members. Before I make a die in the ditch comment, what do other posters think - in other words, does my particular situation make me unique in my fears or are others concerned?

• Upvote 2

No you're not alone Rickshaw, the internet security on this site frightens the shit out of me too!

I'm a very easy to spot character outside of this community as well, not only up here in Chiang Mai where I reside, but in the UK too! However, I don't want to have to speak in some sort of childish code or hide certain facts & anecdotes which go a long way towards adding to & embellishing many of my posts.

Like many of the other members on this site I lead two lives, so if anything could be done to protect my anonymity on this forum from the outside world that really would be very much appreciated :ph34r:

One thing I understand a few guys do is to "obscure" some basic facts about themselves on the forum, as the guys that know them on ground aren't fooled, but someone on the outside looking in would be thrown off the scent. For example, changing the city you live in to a different country, or changing your profession in all your posts, etc. Stuff that doesn't mean a tinker's damn in "our world" but would be used by someone from the "real world" to be able to create a composite that adds up to a positive ID.

Just a thought.

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

Hi guys, first post on ladyboyreview.

While waiting to register I noticed a glitch that allows an unregistered visitor to this forum view all pics posted by people in their trip reports and posts.

While logged out, if you go to a users profile, lets say Fogmaster for example, all you have to do is go to find content, show posts only, and bobs your uncle, all the pics from his trip report. Some of them also show up in google images search.

Cheers

I checked the settings for all our sub-forums and there were a few where non-members could see pics. My bad. I changed that.

Only registered Members can see pics on LBR. Guests can see videos though.

Trip Reports can only be seen by Members. Even if something isn't technically a TripReport you are still welcome to post it there. But honestly this doesn't add much privacy since anyone can register and be a member.

Bottom line guys, it's best not to post things on the internet that can come back to haunt you. But posting in the Trip Reports section offers somewhat more privacy.

If anyone has questions or concerns please PM me.

• Upvote 4