Disgusting Little Quirks

KenW

I burp a lot, but as kids we were told that informed the cook the nosh was good. Besides, Vietnamese burp and fart all the time too, so I feel at home. (This thread is applicable to much more than just Thailand, but there's no other place to locate it.)

I was in a lunch eatery last time I was in Pattaya, Second Road, eating alone.

At the next table was an old falang, about my vintage. He spoke with the waitstaff in a heavily accented English that I would reckon meant he was from either Scandanavia or one of the other northern continental European areas. I took little notice. Finished my meal, I sipped on a chilled glass of white.

Looking around, enjoying the cultural inputs and the waitstaff beauty, I was suddenly stunned to focus on what this guy was now doing. His meal finished also, he sat there, and using the knife he had attacked his food with, he began to clean the filth from under his fingernails.

I thought jeezuz, that's the last lunch I eat here. Tomorrow I might have that very knife to stick into my chicken, garnished with Danish ex-fingernail muck.

No thanks. For if the Thais are as haphazard as the Vietnamese when it comes to kitchen utensil cleanliness, who knows what I might be savoring as flavour.

I have my disgisting little quirks. But I thought that one was sub-par.

I'm far from perferct - but one thing that puts me off is sitting in a resturant enjoying a romantic candle lit dinner with a beautiful LB and she starts to pick her nose :shok: - sort of kills the mood.

:D

Yes,its still surprises me when they do that,its happened a few times to me....I must confess I blow my nose in my hand occasionally,but never in a restaraunt