Gangster Monkies!!!

I like animal stories & I must abmit that this gave me a bit of a tickkle this morning while I was browsing the net & having a saucer of milk

'Gangster' tourist-attacking monkeys finally caught

A gang of 'sharp-toothed' monkeys have been caught at a Phnom Penh temple as part of a crackdown on unruly animals attacking tourists.

Vets from the zoo tranquilised 13 macaques at the Wat Phnom pagoda and the operation is set to continue.

Nhek Rattanak Pich, director of Phnom Tamao Zoo and rescue centre, told news.com.au: 'Phnom Penh authorities asked us to remove the violent monkeys from the temple... The guards there said many visitors had been bitten by big monkeys.'

The temple is crowded with about 200 semi-tame macaques who occasionally cause havoc when they stray towards nearby homes and hotels, tearing tiles off roofs, destroying laundry and making off with items left lying around.

Cambodian police have even described the macaques as 'gangster' monkeys in the past after an attempt to trap them with eggs laced with sleeping pills failed.

Authorities put a £150 bounty on several of the animals' heads, while a violent 20-kilogram monkey was even shot dead in 2008 at the temple after it attacked visitors.

Pich said blood samples from the recently-caught monkeys would be tested to check for diseases before the animals are sent either to the zoo or freed in remote forests near Tonle Sap lake - far away from the capital and its tourists.

post-440-064282100 1307420912.jpg

• Upvote 1

Residents who live nearby have to keep their doors and windows closed or a monkey might get in a wreak havoc.

The US Embassy is right next to Wat Phnom. A clever terrorist could attach explosives to the monkeys and lure them to the Embassy with monkey food.

Btw, at night, prostitutes work the park around Wat Phnom probably captured on USA satelite photos on the lookout for explosive monkeys.