Television - bingeworthy stuff

So, after nearly 3 years away from television (it's a short but boring story) I'm back with a vengeance.

Finally got around to watching The Wire, classic HBO series (5 seasons roughly 12 hours each) about drugs, crime & corruption in Baltimore.

Next up:

Breaking Bad

Community (I LOVE Rick & Morty, and I guess this was by the same creator/writer)

Yellowstone.

What next? What else do you consider Binge Worthy TV? 

• Like 2

Game of Thrones  dude.    Nothing comes close to it.

Must-sees that took the genre to  whole new levels a decade apart:   The Sopranos, Lost, 

Other personal favorites in no particular order:   The Office (the British one); Rome; Spartacus; Dexter; Westworld (tough to follow); Narcos; anything about Women In Prison

Currently watching: The Walking Dead + the 2 spinoffs, Better Call Saul, The Ozarks (has narcos), The Handmaid's Tale, Outlander

I am probably forgetting some.

I also watch a lot of European stuff you probably would not bother with.  Historical stuff like Vikings, Louis XIV, Henry VIII, WWII , etc

I repeat: Game of Thrones.  Dont die without watching all 8 seasons... it just gets better every season. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rom said:

I repeat: Game of Thrones.  Dont die without watching all 8 seasons... it just gets better every season. 

true Rom. Magnificent indeed. I'm now on the fifth time of watching the whole series.

Lost: sort of lost the plot along the way, it seemed to get it's head stuck up it's arse after the 3rd or 4th season,  which was a shame. Evangeline Lilly should have been in G.O.T too. We might have seen her tits.

Twin Peaks, old but way,way ahead of it's time. one day maybe someone will explain the end to me. I never got it despite multiple viewings, not sure it matters though. David Lynch was a master.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

Magnificent indeed. I'm now on the fifth time of watching the whole series.

Are you serious?

3 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

Twin Peaks, old but way,way ahead of it's time. one day maybe someone will explain the end to me. I never got it despite multiple viewings, not sure it matters though. David Lynch was a master.

Ending of the Return 2017 or the end 30 years ago? 

Not that I  can explain it, just wonder if you’ve seen the Return. Lynch IS a master.

on-topic:

Homeland 

Gomorrah

Zero Zero Zero

Succession 

White Lotus 

The Bureau (Le Bureau des Légendes)

The last man on earth

2 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

talking about Twin Peaks, Rom.

He won't tell you due to modesty, but Pdoggg actually played the part of Deputy Andy

iddndex.jpg

Rom asked me about Twin Peak/Lynch characters vs. LBR members in another thread I forgot, one of Aitchs many TJ  threads maybe, it didn’t go down well. He got offended and ignored/pissed on my apology, it was all in good fun though.

13 hours ago, deepthroat said:

The Wire

If I was forced to choose just one dramatic series that would probably be my choice but not on Netflix at least here in Thailand.  For comedy, I'd pick Seinfeld which is on Netflix.

13 hours ago, deepthroat said:

What next? What else do you consider Binge Worthy TV? 

2 hours ago, seven said:

Homeland 

Homeland is what I would recommend for most guys. On Netflix.

8 hours ago, Rom said:

The Ozarks 

Just started this a couple days ago; quite promissing.

8 hours ago, Rom said:

anything about Women In Prison

:biggrin:

• Like 1
14 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

didn't know there was a return Seven, what is the full title?

Twin Peaks (2017)

The opening scene in ep1 is mind-blowing.  

I loved it , but my other Twin Peaks fan friends were very ambivalent. To see many of these characters ( same actors) 25 years later was surreal to me. Some new great  additions such as Naomi Watts and Laura Dern starring. Lynch has a rather big part himself as a FBI agent.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4093826/

Great scene with Miguel Ferrer. RIP.

• Like 1

I love sci-fi and myseries so this is my top 5

Battlestar Galactica (2003-09)

Still the best TV series I've ever seen.. starts with the MiniSeries (3 hour pilot movie), then season 1, 2, 3 & 4.

Altered Carbon Season 1 & 2

A very close 2nd. (can catch on Netflix)

Sense8

Made by the Wachowski's.. really awesome (can catch on Netflix)

Rogue One.. if you ever liked Star Wars the original trilogy.. this movie will blow your mind!

Narcos

More realistic and dark.. riveting.

• Like 1

Great recommendations!

GOT - watched it repeatedly, until the final season which I've not gotten around to rewatch. The rushed final season was such a pisser, it has really colored the entire series and left a bad taste in my mouth, but the earlier seasons.... the best. The standard that all others now have to meet. The teasers for the new prequel on HBO (staring this fall?) look awesome. The rush to wrap up the final season was so out of character, so rushed... journeys that previously took half a season were suddenly being accomplished in a matter of hours. Multi-season threads wrapped up with Deux Ex Machina nonsense endings. It really felt like the show runners just decided they were tired and wanted to be done with this thing, and scratched out instructions on post-it notes instead of thinking things through. I think I read that the author said he would have taken 2-3 full seasons to have wrapped it up properly if it were up to him.

Loved The Office (UK and US). Loved Seinfeld. Lost interest in Battlestar Galactica after season one, I tried to watch it last year and I just don't think it's aged well. 

I LOVE the Wachowski's so I'll have to check out Sense8. 

Tokyo Vice is in my to-do list, I just read the novel at long last earlier this year.

Narcos looks great but may not make the list as their are just too many other great contenders, we'll see. And cannot stomach Star Wars anymore, didn't even bother to see the final film of the triple trilogy. Watched 4-5 episodes of The Mandalorian and was surprisingly uninterested. I LOVE all the Marvel stuff so I thought I'd love it simply because it was Jon Favreau's baby, but it left me cold.

I watched the first season of Twin Peaks when it was on originally and just never went back. Lynch is one of my favorite directors (I even liked his Dune!) and both Eraserhead and The Elephant Man are somewhere in my Top 100 films list, but TP just seemed to be non-sequiturs and obscurities for their own sake.

Handmaids Tale was incredible in the first season, meh in the second. Lost me there. 

Walking Dead was a mixed bag. LOVED the first many seasons, but once Negan came in I lost interest. Started realizing that every Sunday night I went to bed disturbed and depressed. I'm disturbed and depressed enough on my own and didn't need TWD to add to it, LOL!

I cancelled Netflix when they raised prices last year. Too many great choices on HBO Max, Disney+, and Apple at this point to give them more of my money. I'll probably go back someday but for now, I've got plenty to keep me busy with these.

You know what? Looking at this response I can only conclude I'm now officially a grumpy old man. 

• Like 4
On 5/13/2022 at 11:01 PM, deepthroat said:

Handmaids Tale was incredible in the first season, meh in the second. Lost me there. 

It’s now branded a reality show.

I agree with you, first season was great, then it just repeated itself into boring.

Check out Euphoria, pretty good.
Also Chernobyl , directed by an acquaintance of mine. Great dystopia.

Too many great choices on HBO Max, Disney+, and Apple

I've got plenty to keep me busy with these.

I have more than I ever will watch. Makes it almost counterproductive.

My last favourite bingeworthy tv series was Justified, which ran for six seasons I think. It's about US marshals in Kentucky. Unnecessarily violent but good story lines and characters. 

All time favourite series is The Wire. I don't think any other television drama ever made touches it or comes near. Epic in its scope and writing. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

The Wire.

Usually tops the lists. It’s great and at the time groundbreaking but for me personally Sopranos  and Breaking bad are at least as good if not even better. Revisited the Wire a few years ago and honestly it hasn’t aged that well. Sopranos has.

Haven’t got around to David Simons new show We own the city yet.

On 5/13/2022 at 5:01 PM, deepthroat said:

And cannot stomach Star Wars anymore, didn't even bother to see the final film of the triple trilogy.

The sequel trilogy is garbage. I saw it once and never again.

The classics of the original trilogy and Revenge of the Sith work.

That's why I recommended Rogue One.. the story, the movie it just works as extension of the original. Trust me by the end of that movie.. you'll be like OH MY GOD why didn't I catch it earlier..

Also its a very welcome 2 hours.. not a long distraction from other stuff!

• Like 1

ok, I had a lot of reactions to this, maybe I'll get in another post later but I was watching a channel I find really interesting and somewhat unique (it's binge worthy btw :)  Rick Beato, a music scholar...he did production in the 80s a LOT, and he plays pro stuff note for note, breaks down what makes a song great, and lots of other things but the new one is with an author and scholar (Rick covered his article in the NY Times...why old music is killing new music). I think many of you would find it interesting and be going YES! thru it.  At one point they talk about how he predicted the downfall of Netflix and Spotify and he states and almost NONE of the 6000 (not anymore) 4000 titles they carry are OLDER THAN TEN YEARS.  Proof of the above statement that Amazon seems set up for only younger people. I strongly encourage anyone who LOVES music and even movie and has been watching as businessmen eviscerate both forms to watch this. Plus it's fun to watch Rick and his two buddies argue about stuff like "you think an SG is Gibson's STRAT???" haha.

• Like 2

A third series of Das Boot has started recently on Sky. I didn't get into the first series, but I watched the first episode of S.3 and it seems promising. So I went back to S.1 and have watched the first five episodes in the last few days, and am now finding it quite good.

It's about a WW2 U-boat. I quite like WW2 stuff. But it's not just about the crew and u-boat actions. There is also a concurrent story line about French Resistance sabotage and the Gestapo trying to track them down. A bit confusing when the dialogue switches between German, French and English but it has sub-titles.

Screenshot 2022-05-20 07.56.07.png

• Like 1

Not many series are binge-worthy to me. Deadwood was the best. Weeds was very good. Justified rocked. If you can find the 12 episodes of John From Cincinnati, it's an overlooked little gem of a mini series with many of my favorite actors. 

Recently I binge-watched Schitt's Creek again. I support any series that puts LGBT characters in a positive light as the latter does.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

That music series sounds right up my alley. I’ll have to give it a watch sometime.

Just finished Tokyo Vice and after being thrilled with the first few episodes, I ultimately decided it sucks. One of those things where characters just go off the rails in the last few episodes doing dumb things and making decisions and taking actions that aren’t congruent with the characters they established in the earlier episodes. There’s also a lot of controversy now about the original novel and whether the author made up a lot of the incidents he included in the book.

I also watched the first season of Severance on Apple TV and really enjoyed it.

What’s next? I’m thinking about either Breaking Bad or that Kevin Costner western thingamajig which my sister keeps trying to get me to watch. Not sure about that though as I think I have to get a premium subscription to Paramount plus to be able to watch it? Add to that the fact that the last thing I watched which my sister recommended was Aquaman, and you can understand my reticence

• Like 1