Cheap Charlie's Reward Card

Pdoggg

A buddy of mine who went home for the year gave me his Cheap Charlie's Rewards card.  Went there last evening, the lamb dinner special was 199 baht but with my reward card was just 99 baht. The lamb was quite good and the dinner really fills you up. It is probably not the quality of Robin Hood or Nicky's but a real value for money joint.

Think these cards cost 200 baht for the year. I never bought one because if I go there it is usually for a late brekkie which is discounted without the card. The card isn't a bad deal if you live nearby and go there often.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quietguy said:

That's good, bbg needs somewhere for breakfast now that Simple Simon has closed.  

actually you are correct Cowpoke. there aren't that many decent priced places here nowadays. But,the English breakfast thing doesn't interest me too much, i have one every 2-3 weeks perhaps. Fave place at the moment is 'Moonshine' next door to the old Katty Bar on soi 4 Jomty. They do an American breakfast, which is much more to my liking.. crispy bacon etc. Anyway I'm much more of a Weetabix/.bananas man for breakfast nowadays.

looking forwards to Cheap Charlies opening i must say. Just for the ease of getting a full meal sometimes, without having to go into Pattaya, which is still a bit difficult.

Quinn, where is it going to be? Single unit on the block before Roadhouse or the Old Bannermans/Ballermans?

• Like 2

Went to check out the Soi 5 location and saw Mark, former quizmaster at Hemingway's. He is involved with the new venture.  He said the projected opening date is Tuesday, May 3rd.  He said you can use the same rewards card at both venues and the daily specials will be exactly ay both Pattaya and Jomtien.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fenton said:

How do you get a card? Its the same business as the one on Soi Buakhao presumably?

Same business, card is good for both places.  Card costs 200 baht, think good till the end of the year.  If you there frequently worth it,  But u can still get a 99 baht chicken dinner or 89 baht English brekkie without the card. 

On 4/30/2022 at 12:09 AM, Pdoggg said:

Card costs 200 baht, think good till the end of the year.

Ready to open at 7AM Tuesday morning.

cc66.jpeg

Note the cards are only valid to expiry date on the back of the card which is typically 4 months. 199 baht. The waitress has never taken or looked at my card though it is possible it is color coded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fenton said:

But the coffee is nicer at the Hideaway. Serious piece kit that coffee maker :). Seen better but not a cheap machine. Served in the traditional way with a glass of water as well. 

The coffee they serve for breakfast at Cheap Charlies is piss poor.

However the coffee you are talking about at the Hideaway is not served with their cheap breakfast. You get decent coffee with the cheap brekkie but not the superior coffee if you are ordering stand alone coffee.

Btw, Robin Hood no longer has a cheap breakfast.   Nicky's has a 1PM cutoff for their cheap breakfast.  The best coffee that comes with a cheap breakfast is At All Cafe but alas the food does not measure up. But if your objective is good coffee and just want a little food with it then At All is a good choice.

This might be controversial but I've yet to taste a foreign food that tasted up to par in Thailand. Most of them are cheap imitations.

It's not just western cuisine either. The same can be said for "samosas" which are Indian food and I love them but they're always under par.

Same with bento boxes.

Burgers and Pizzas are always undercooked.

I mean even the best lasagna I tasted in Jomtien was ookay. Probably the best thing I could say I found would be the nachos and cheese in the Movie Theater in Central Festival or the caesar salad that were on par with the western stuff. Nothing that literally blew my mind away!

Only thai food seems to taste good in thailand.

6 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

The coffee they serve for breakfast at Cheap Charlies is piss poor.

However the coffee you are talking about at the Hideaway is not served with their cheap breakfast. You get decent coffee with the cheap brekkie but not the superior coffee if you are ordering stand alone coffee.

Btw, Robin Hood no longer has a cheap breakfast.   Nicky's has a 1PM cutoff for their cheap breakfast.  The best coffee that comes with a cheap breakfast is At All Cafe but alas the food does not measure up. But if your objective is good coffee and just want a little food with it then At All is a good choice.

I much prefer to pay the extra if it means I am getting quality produce and that includes paying extra for a decent cup of coffee if need be. 

I don't see the point of eating inferior produce just to save a few baht, but I am talking from a tourists perspective here. 

11 hours ago, Ashoka said:

This might be controversial but I've yet to taste a foreign food that tasted up to par in Thailand. Most of them are cheap imitations.

I agree in general. But there are exceptions. Hemingways in Jomtien does good 'British' food. And the Curry Hut in Rompho did good Indian food, but it had closed down when I was there in January/February.

I'm not too keen on most Thai food and only eat it occasionally.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Too expensive; prefer 39 baht beers at the 16 proper tables overlooking the sea at my 7/11.

Maybe, but if the retailer cannot buy them for around 20b they are not making money. I think that is why they are in business?.

I have no idea what the wholesale price is, but if it is a lot more than that they are providing the customer with subsidised drinks. No good for anyone.

Actually at the lower price points, I don't care too much about the price.   Drinking on the rail at CC is just not too appealing to me because Soi 5 is not a good people watching street.

Where I do care about the price is at gogos. Some gogos have cheap draft beer while others only have expensive bottled beer.  But even in that case, a pre-Covid Kink or Pinup which is filled with all stunners could get me to spring for a bottled beer.

That said, many expats are on tight budgets.  We can occasionally splurge as long as it doesn't become a habit.

• Like 1