Cheap Samsung Phone

Pdoggg

Looking to by a very low end entry level phone for an elderly Thai person who doesn't care about features.  Primary use is the Line app.  Must be a Samsung.   And must be simple for a tech challenged person.  Doesn't have to be the absolute cheapest but would like it to be within 1000 baht of the cheapest.  Any recommendations? 

come on PD! you know who to be a-asking Pard!

why not do as i did..    my samsung J4 i think, can be set on 'easymode' which  makes the icons fewer and bigger. plus if you access settings/apps, a lot of the unwanted crap like facebook etc can be turned off and icons vanish. As you know cos you did it for me, line can be downloaded in easymode because the google stuff is still there. Unfortunately that shite, plus camera etc etc can't be gotten rid of. or maybe it can but i haven't discovered how yet.

talk to the Commie Cowpoke!

• Like 2

you're better off buying an old Samsung S7 or something with the Samsung A series than a cheap phone from Tuk Com.

I bought cheap from Tuk Com twice and have regretted it twice.

Although I still use my S10+ since 2019.. my S7 from 2016 still works and will be my daily driver in Thailand with the Thai Sim. Line works.. camera is okay (doesn't have wideangle or telephoto) but it just works!

That's all you need right?

Ebay costs are S7 for like $70-85 so about 2000 baht.

PD maybe you can stretch it to a S9.. would mean getting a newer battery but up to him.

P.S. And if you need to really make it easy for an elderly person.. I suggest using the Google Dialer app where all you do is swipe up to answer. That's what most elderly people prefer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashoka said:

Samsung A series

I was thinking of the A03.

1 hour ago, Ashoka said:

Line works.. camera is okay (doesn't have wideangle or telephoto) but it just works!

That's all you need right?

That's it.  I just want it to work.

I just want a new Samsung, no frills, for an old lady who won't be using it much.   I don't want a used flagship even if it is a better deal.

The A series have bigger screens but not as good battery. However new vs used flagship is splitting hairs.

The difference is S series gets Li-ion vs where A series and lower gets Li-polymer. The worst Li-polymer kinds have batteries that expand and contract like the Tukcom cheap phones and die soonish but Samsung won't use total garbage so you should be good for 2+ years at least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

I was thinking of the A03.

That's it.  I just want it to work.

I just want a new Samsung, no frills, for an old lady who won't be using it much.   I don't want a used flagship even if it is a better deal.

Samsung high range series are Samsung S. Samsung A are medium range and Samsung J are low range. Just keep in mind that a new Samsung J is likely to work for a longer time than a used Samsung A with similar performances. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

why does it have to be a Samsung P.D?

i got mine, some years ago, from the official Samsung shop on the [i think] 3rd floor of Tukcom. They sometimes have a sale on older display models when a newer version is released. Mine [J4] was bought four years ago from there and is still going strong, including the original battery.

i know where there is a very new Iphone 12 quite possibly for sale very cheap. .......  might just need a bit of hoss shit cleaning off it though..

7 hours ago, Pulci Gorgon said:

Samsung high range series are Samsung S. Samsung A are medium range and Samsung J are low range.

That's what I had always thought too.  But it seems that some A's are as cheap as the J's.

What I am looking for is cheap.  But it doesn't have to be the cheapest.   For example if let's say a J2 is not compatible with  the latest Android updates and perhaps at some point Line required the latest Android version then maybe it would be better to pay 500 baht more for a J7.

I am looking for a budget entry level phone for someone who is completely clueless about tech.

4 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

Both me and the missus are familiar with Samsung and want to set things up before it is brought upcountry.  I am also assuming that more people in the village would be familiar with Samsungs than other phones.

I want thing to be easy without complications.

4 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

i got mine, some years ago, from the official Samsung shop on the [i think] 3rd floor of Tukcom. They sometimes have a sale on older display models when a newer version is released. Mine [J4] was bought four years ago from there and is still going strong, including the original battery.

i know where there is a very new Iphone 12 quite possibly for sale very cheap. .......  might just need a bit of hoss shit cleaning off it though..

I gave the missus's mom an iphone 3g when I upgraded to an iphone 4s many years ago. It was sold off within a few days and she had purchased an android phone calling iphone complicated and not good for her eyes.

Your plan makes sense!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ashoka said:

I didn't like how ios got rid of the home key.

So did I before I upgraded. No looking back, its actually better than a home button. Not only that, you can use Face ID with mask on. That alone should be the sales pitch to you and QG.

I don't understand how anyone can say (if they have tried both, which usually isn't the case) that Android is easier and less completed than Iphone. I do get the anti Apple snobbery brigade, but to quote a legendary barowner in Pattaya; never try never know.

To me Android is like a  PC.

7 minutes ago, seven said:

So did I before I upgraded. No looking back, its actually better than home button. Not only that, you can use Face ID with mask on. That alone should be the sales pitch to you.

Nope I try hard to not buy stuff where the owner supports right wing nut jobs in America.

Tim Cook is on my do not buy from list as are others. Same can be said about Tesla's Elon Musk or FSG/ Liverpool's Henry or Trump, etc

7 minutes ago, Ashoka said:

I try hard to not buy stuff where the owner supports right wing nut jobs in America.

Tim Cook is on my do not buy from list as are others. Same can be said about Tesla's Elon Musk or FSG/ Liverpool's Henry or Trump, etc

Cook is a rightwing nut? Thats not cool. 

Jobs wasn't though.

I agree about Musk. Is he Ukrainian or baltic btw?

I try to not buy anything Chinese manufactured which is a lot easier than 1 or 2 years ago. Also Arab oil money is a big no no for me today which is super easy as they don't provide anything significant to human kind other than oil and Dubai holidays.

No idea about Musk.

And I know my money may not be much in the grand scheme of things to Tim Cook but I'm not giving him or any of those guys on the list any of my money to make my life miserable.

Some clowns on the forums call me "names" for that but not like I need their approval or anything for voting with my wallet.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ashoka said:

Some clowns on the forums call me "names" for that but small tradeoff in trying to make a better place for LGBT.

Really? Hate speech on forums dedicated for transsexuals? Thats rich. 

Please enlighten me  what big companies are anti LGBT. Thats important to me as well.  I know I'll never wear a Fred Perry shirt thats for sure.

Now pay attention you heathens, here's a wise man educating us:

Take notes, Madame Speaker, I’m about to define what a woman is for you.”

“XX chromosomes, no tallywacker.”

• Like 1

I don't have the complete list but here's a general local list for me in the Northeastern US area.

The owner of the NY Jets and NY Mets (but I was never a jets or mets fan)

I'm a NY Yankees fan since 1986.. their ownership is okay. But I don't go to Boston to see the yankees play anymore since 2004 as the owner of the Red Sox is a devout right wing nut. He also owns Liverpool FC. On the flip side the owners of Baltimore is very much into Biden and I have traveled to Baltimore a few times for a nice day trip.

Home Depot's CEO is another so I really try hard to not shop there.

Then there's Facebook's owner and CEO.. I don't use Facebook.

Fox News (and they take $22.50 out of every cable tv bill) so I cut the cable a few years ago.

There was one local car repair shop I used to go to but he put up a big Trump sign so I found another place.

We talked about Apple already.

I've also soured on Toyota vehicles as they seem to be supporting right wingers in Tennessee.

Oh I play a lot of video games but I've never played and will never play WOW/ Overwatch.

The parent company Blizzard is a big donator to right wing politicians and propaganda!

I used to play Everquest but they were bought by Russians in 2016 so I stopped playing it then.

By no means a perfect list but I do my part! You can research what's local in your area.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ashoka said:

The parent company Blizzard is a big donator to right wing politicians and propaganda!

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/one-worst-people-world-now-164500394.html

One Of The Worst People In The World Now Owns Over 96% Of SNK

Electronic Gaming Development Company (EGDC), a subsidiary of a foundation run by Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman, now owns 96.18% of Japanese developer SNK following a massive investment.

Saudi Arabia spent the last year throwing money around the video game industry, with strategic investments in companies like Activision Blizzard, Electronic Arts, Take-Two Interactive, Capcom, and Nexon. Like many of Mohammed bin Salman’s dealings, these purchases fall within the Saudi Vision 2030 strategy established during his mid-decade rise to power, which on paper is meant to diversify the kingdom’s oil-centric economy.

In reality, however, Saudi Vision 2030 is largely a propaganda campaign focused on whitewashing Saudi Arabia’s atrocious human rights record. The regressive monarchy seemingly hopes that aligning itself with entertainment industries around the world might loosen the purse strings of businesses wary of investing in the oil-rich country’s economy, especially with the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi and the ongoing, U.S.-backed Yemeni genocide still looming overhead.

I’m no expert in geopolitical maneuvering. I don’t know what lies ahead for SNK now that it’s owned by one of the closest people the modern world has to a supervillain. It could be that bin Salman is looking to soften his regime’s image via in-game propaganda, or perhaps he’s hoping the investment itself is enough to make it look like his is a government in renaissance rather than one known for oppressing women, executing homosexuals, and promoting religious zealotry. Either way, buying SNK games just got a whole lot harder to justify.

While it sure felt bad when SNK was purchased by a pachinko manufacturer back in the day, seeing it get scooped up by Saudi Arabian war criminals is a whole new level of disappointment. King of Fighters XV is good, but not good enough to ignore this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a "reconditioned" Samsung J2 a couple years ago for $16.  Love it, have Line on  it, works fine. HATE anything Apple. My brother fixed an old 5s Iphone but it bugs me to identify and has TWO accounts it seems and one password is enough thank you. I find it ponderous and NOT user friendly. I had to put some apple program on my laptop just to be able to put tunes and pics on the dang thing.

explain to me why it's bad that a phone can be like a PC???? easy as hell, I never have ANY problem with my Samsung. Oh, bro fixed a 1st gen Ipad. Garbage, oh and that's where it went after checking it out a while. Old as hell but I could find no use for it. I only keep the 5s because it might work in LOS next trip. Not sure about the J2...it might.

so yeah PD, go J2 or some J....it'll do the old lady fine.

• Like 1