Edward Sweeney's Thailand Adventures 2022

duke007

In the above video Edward Sweeney says that he pays double for a baht bus to Jomtien.  If he wants to pay double, up to him, spreading the love with his own money.  Then he says that those who pay the normal fare, which is 10 baht, are wankers.  Yeah, right.

What precipitated his rant was a guy who got off with him who paid with a 50 baht note and wanted the correct change when the driver shortchanged him.   If you don't want to get shortchanged pay with exact change.  Of course it doesn't really matter much if once in a blue moon you get short changed for 10 baht.  But a common ripoff is paying a bin with a 1000 baht note and getting change for 500.  Solution?  Carry around 500 baht notes and don't carry around 1000 baht notes.  You might notice the reverse when you pay with 500 baht and the waitress announces to you that you gave her 500 baht so it would then be difficult to claim that you gave her 1000.

Later in the video he goes to Emily Restaurant on Jomtien Soi 7.   Nice joint where I occasionally eat.  He went around 2PM.  If go after 3PM maybe your waitress will be perhaps the most passable ladyboy in Jomtien.

• Like 1

I mostly carry a few 10 baht coins with me in case I take a Baht Bus, not because I might get ripped, more a case of me not wanting to hold the bus up and inconvenience others.

But on the odd occasion I have had given them a 20 baht note its because I have wanted to tip them, a small price to pay when heading back from Jomtien after a late night for example :drinks:

I have also eaten at Emily's a few times when I stayed at the High Lords Residence (Soi 7) a few years ago, nice place and good grub. B)

• Like 2

In the video above, he says he paid 1500 baht for a taxi from Pattaya to Bangkok City.   There are numerous quality car services that charge 1200 to Bangkok City and 1000 to Suvarnabhumi.  I used to use PT Taxi but they are not quick at getting back to you so I now use Tom Taxi which usually gets back to me in minutes.   I've never had a bad experience with Tom Taxi. 

But a very cost effective way to get from Pattaya to Bangkok City is to take the airport bus from Jomtien and then the airport link in the Bangkok City.  Besides the significant cost savings, you also avoid all Bangkok traffic which can be problematic during rush hour.  I believe this is superior to taking the bus from the North Pattaya bus station to Ekkamai but I suppose it depends on exactly where you re in Pattaya and where you are going in Bangkok.

One option is to take the airport link to Phaya Thai for 45 baht and then the BTS to Nana if that's where you are going.   Though I think I prefer taking the airport link to Makkasan for 35 baht and then taking a cab or Bolt directly to my hotel for around 60 baht.     

The airport bus leaves from the Foodland parking lot along the main baht bus route from Pattaya to Jomtien seven times a day, 130 baht, schedule below.  The airport rail link runs until midnight. In the reverse direction you do have the option of getting off at Pattaya Nua, Pattaya Klang, or Pattaya Tai on Sukhumvit and then Bolting but the Jomtien station is a more user friendly place than the Sukhumvit drop offs.

bus (1).jpg

The Swan Inn 2 restaurant in the above video is right next door to Chaos 9 bar and also a very easy walk to Why Not Bar.   

I like to stay at this quiet end of Sukhumvit.  Stayed many times at the now closed Woraburi and my new go to hotel is the nearby Alt UHG Nana and have been quite pleased every time I stayed there. I am fairly certain that most of you would prefer to pay ever so slightly more for the Alt UHG Nana than stay at the Swan Inn 2.  Sometimes when booking the Alt you can book the breakfast for not much more than the room without breakfast.  It's a buffet breakfast that suits me and you can drink as many cups of coffee as you want.  Unlike the Swan, the Alt has a lift in each of their two buildings as well as a small gym and very tiny pool.  But a tiny pool is better than no pool.  The intangible at the Alt is very friendly front desk staff and maids.

Have eaten at the restaurant and food carts in the video and also buy food at the 7/11 in that video and heat it up in the microwave in my Alt Junior Suite.

If you know you will be spending lots of time at Why Not and Chaos 9 then book the Alt UHG Nana.  It is also a pretty easy walk to Check In Bar as you don't need to take Soi 4 all the way to Sukhumvit and instead you can cut over to Soi 8, then to Sukhumvit, and then a short walk to Soi 10.

I did stay at the Woraburi Hotel on Soi 4 a couple of times but it got too expensive, so my go to place in Bangkok is nowthe Sawasdee Hotel on Soi 8, I can get a Superior Double Room there for 700 Baht per night which is superb value imho. 

IMG_20220315_135235.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Looks good Dukey!  :drinks:  In the description on booking.com it says both Upper Floors Accessible By Elevator and it also says Upper Floors Only Accessible By Stairs.  Which is it Dukey?  Is there a lift?

It does have a Lift. :good:

IMG_20220315_142816.jpg

• Like 1