Cowboy Resort in Pattaya-Yeehaw!

Quinn

56 minutes ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

Looks great! I wish I was there. I'd strap on my six shooter and claps and mossie on over to brand a longhorn. Yeehaw. 

I hope they play sad country songs. 

Well, they certainly need to play the "greatest country song ever" as it was proclaimed by its writers Steve Goodman and John Prine.  They wrote it in the early 1970s, and more well-known country artist David Allen Coe later recorded it.

(Now, these three are quite the something.  Steve Goodman died way too young of leukemia at age 36, but among other songs he wrote in his short life is the iconic American standard, "City of New Orleans."  John Prine wrote way too many great songs to recount, and was sadly one of the early victims of covid in 2020.  And David Allen Coe?  Well, at age 82 he is still with us, and the second sentence in his Wikipedia entry reads, "Coe took up music after spending much of his early life in reform schools and prisons."  'nuff said.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

Looks great! I wish I was there. I'd strap on my six shooter and claps and mossie on over to brand me a longhorn. Yeehaw. 

I hope they play sad country songs. I like those. 

. . . are there any other sort ? ...and what are 'claps' ?

3 minutes ago, Quinn said:

. . . are there any other sort ? ...and what are /claps' ?

I think dude Jimmy meant "chaps."  And I think he also meant to "mosey."  And, by "brand me a longhorn", whether Jimmy is referring to literally branding a longhorn steer or having his intimate way with a University of Texas football player (tight end?), I think he is in for a world of hurt either way.

• Haha 2

Just now, soiboy said:

I think dude Jimmy meant "chaps."  And I think he also meant to "mosey."  And, by "brand me a longhorn", whether Jimmy is referring to literally branding a longhorn steer or having his intimate way with a University of Texas football player (tight end?), I think he is in for a world of hurt either way.

Thanks for the corrections! (I'm obviously no real cowboy 555)

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

There should be a dedicated thread for sad country songs. 

Agreed - however this one is more reflective than sad. UK - DJ Andy Kershaw said it was one of the best songs ever written - debatable - but I like it. Written by Jimmy Dale Gilmore of 'The Flatlanders' - who I saw a couple of times - all great solo artistes too. Butch Hancock who I chatted to after a gig. Joe Ely - honorary member of 'The Clash'. Saw him with a great 'Tex Mex' Band. Here it is 'Did you ever see Dallas from a DC9 at night.' not to be confused with Nana Plaza DC10 bar I seem to remeber was an LB Bar. 5555

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

Yesterday I was listening to this. The Band weren't pure country, but the song indelibly is. It's hard to find a sadder lyric -

Oh, man.  The Long Black Veil.  This is turning into another pandemic stay at home with Woodford Reserve and YouTube night...

• Like 1

Very slight deviation - and back to one half of 'The Flatlanders' - Butch Hancock and Jimmy Dale Gilmore - at a gig in London a couple of decades ago. At the edge of the stage bouncing up and down was indeed Andy Kershaw. I remembered seeing him on TV interviewing a ladyboy at a club in Bangkok. She was getting ready to go onstage when Kershaw asked the pertinent question - in his broad raw Lancashire tone - 'Ere - wur d'yer put yer knob' ? Forget her reply - even if she could understand him !

• Like 1