How about GoFundMe as an anonymous alternative for buying livestream drinks?

Rom

This is not Romscars Club-related and it is primarily addressed at @Emmy Emmy but for me to post it at the Emmy Club might be seen as intrusive, so I will post here and see what BMs have to say, if anything.

This is something that has been bugging me since 2020 when the covid-induced Jimbo/Sweethearts livestreams started, but I kept my mouth shut as to not be seen as meddling in other peoples' businesses.  But here goes now:

My immediate reaction when the livestreams started was that some of us punters will never buy drinks for the performers if we have to use Paypal because it would reveal our identities and e-mails.  As a result, the livestreams have been collecting revenues below potential.  Not my problem!  I thought ...  what do I care that Jimbo who never posted a nice word about me sells more drinks?

But now I am starting to care about Emmy and her 2 sidekicks.  I have been sketching and making elf videos with them and Emmy put me back in contact with Mona (former staff I really really like) and they are performing on Christmas Day and I would like to buy them drinks.

So here is my suggestion for buying drinks anonymously:

Forget crypto.  It may be hard to set up for Emmy and her farang advisors and the fixed per transaction costs for me would be too high, possibly more than 1 or 2 drinks cost...  also costs on the receiving end...

GOFUNDME is the way to go.  Set up an account (say:  "The Teya & Sara College Fund") and enable ANONYMOUS donations...  Easy-Peasy.  The anonymous donor can still identify himself in the message field as he chooses (ex: "drinks from Rom").

Whaddyathink?  You want to give it a shot at Emmy's and see if more drinks are bought...

Merry Christmas

565018537_TheLittleBarThatCould2a.jpg.0b97ab20c0fddbf680801b9e38b0d0b4.jpg

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Rom said:

Whaddyathink? 

Sure, have BBG set it up.

37 minutes ago, Rom said:

Forget crypto.  It may be hard to set up for Emmy and her farang advisors

Why would you think so? Don't you think BBG and PDiddy are on top of Dogecoins? They're probably mining as we speak :biggrin:

49 minutes ago, Rom said:

It may be hard to set up for Emmy and her farang advisors

i didn't know that emmy had farang advisors! i guess you are referring to people like me, QG , Quinn etc? we ain't advisors, it's emmy's bar. I guess that 'supporters' would be more accurate. sure from time to time she may ask what we think of one of her ideas, but all we do really is: I handle the Emmy club and Quinn does the posters etc. [don't for gods sake ask QG Emmy!]

Emmy is a friend of us and has been for years. We support her as best we can. Top person is our Emmy.

No idea Rom about all the paypal/ etc stuff, absolutely no understanding of how they work. all a bit baffling.

QG is the techno man.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blind boy grunt said:

Emmy is a friend of us and has been for years. We support her as best we can. Top person is our Emmy.

Emmy is one of the absolute nicest persons I know in Thailand  and deserves our support. She’ll get mine when I can visit her new bar.

• Like 3

True to his name, @Quietguy is such a quiet guy that I did not know he was the Minister of Finance in Emmy's Cabinet.    Apologies Quietguy, if I had known I would have drawn you in the Little Bar that Could cartoon along with the Minister of Public Affairs and the Minister of Arts and Culture...  Next time!

But more importantly Quietguy:   do you think a GoFundMe account for Emmy is worth a shot?  It would have to be well fitted into one of the categories they allow... and you would have to work out the financial clearing on Emmy's end.

Otherwise, I don't see the livestreams lasting much longer...

It's Xmas morning here in Europe:  Merry Xmas to all the Emmy groupies...

• Like 2

That's the helpful Fenton I remember from PY.  thanks & +1  .  Your first from me since you joined here.  I look forward to many more. Merry Christmas dog.

7 hours ago, Rom said:

I did not know he was the Minister of Finance in Emmy's Cabinet.   

i guess the minister of finance is Emmy herself..

QG being the covid expert is Minister of Health and Safety with added responsibilities as curator of the mighty Quinn artworks. If Emmy kept Hoss's he'd be in charge of them too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for trying so hard Fenton, but just forget about it.  Your diligence contrasts with Emmy's absence (is that even she who interacts with us here at the Board? or is it one of her Cabinet members handling her account?) and that of her Minister of Technology, both of whom I had @ed but who did not stoop to post acknowledging a helpful suggestion coming for me... 

My point Fenton was NOT an alternative online payment mechanism such as the ones you suggested.  It was an ANONYMOUS payment mechanism that would allow punters to buy drinks without revealing who they are...  ANONYMOUS!  Am I the only one here who thinks anonymity could help sell more drinks ? I would have bought some...

This is not the first time I make a fool of myself trying to help Emmy only to be ignored and then my idea is adopted as if I had never expressed it.   Namely when I advised to change the name of Katty Bar to Emmy's Bar and I was ignored (and objected!) but in the end the name was changed without as much as a "Thank you Rom!"

Just don't bother Fenton. We tried.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rom said:

Thanks for trying so hard Fenton, but just forget about it.  Your diligence contrasts with Emmy's absence (is that even she who interacts with us here at the Board? or is it one of her Cabinet members handling her account?) and that of her Minister of Technology, both of whom I had @ed but who did not stoop to post acknowledging a helpful suggestion coming for me... 

My point Fenton was NOT an alternative online payment mechanism such as the ones you suggested.  It was an ANONYMOUS payment mechanism that would allow punters to buy drinks without revealing who they are...  ANONYMOUS!  Am I the only one here who thinks anonymity could help sell more drinks ? I would have bought some...

This is not the first time I make a fool of myself trying to help Emmy only to be ignored and then my idea is adopted as if I had never expressed it.   Namely when I advised to change the name of Katty Bar to Emmy's Bar and I was ignored (and objected!) but in the end the name was changed without as much as a "Thank you Rom!"

Just don't bother Fenton. We tried.

get this straight Rom

Emmy handles her club as best she can. but when you are posting things such as the one i quoted above, she isn't going to understand it!

if you want Emmy to reply then keep it simple. And, post it where she is most likely to see it, in her club.

you were not ignored by me either... i posted that i had absolutely no understanding of paypal etc etc... so no point in me saying much because i wouldn't know what i was talking about.

you are sounding paranoid again Rom!

• Like 1

yeah, i understand that they ... paypal etc, are easy Fenton. but i don't really have need to know how they work,  it seems that was a member of paypal and now wise but in reality i don't use them. My ex in England gets my private pension paid into her account in the UK every month and once a year she sends it to me...now via wise.

the government pension comes directly to my thailand bank by whatever means they use.. That's the extent of my economics expertise... what the hell crypto etc is i don't want to know!

On 12/24/2021 at 10:31 PM, Rom said:

True to his name, @Quietguy is such a quiet guy that I did not know he was the Minister of Finance in Emmy's Cabinet.    Apologies Quietguy, if I had known I would have drawn you in the Little Bar that Could cartoon along with the Minister of Public Affairs and the Minister of Arts and Culture...  Next time!

But more importantly Quietguy:   do you think a GoFundMe account for Emmy is worth a shot?  It would have to be well fitted into one of the categories they allow... and you would have to work out the financial clearing on Emmy's end.

11 hours ago, Rom said:

@RomI guess you are referring to me. I am not anything to do with Emmy's finances. I would think that Emmy handles all that herself.

I would not have a clue about setting up funding accounts. If anyone does and are willing to do it, then good luck.

I had reservations about sending 'drinks' to Emmy (and Jimbo) for the same reasons as you, but felt it was necessary to help out in these difficult times.

I wouldn't think that any online funding system is completely anonymous, otherwise it could be used for criminal or money laundering purposes. 

I have made donations on GoFundMe to various causes. I know you can chose for your donation to be shown as 'Anonymous' but I think that the recipient will know who it is from as I get an acknowledgement email.

I did not 'stoop to acknowledge your suggestion' because I have nothing to do with the bar's account and didn't think I could help with this.    

• Like 2

I checked and Quietguy is right:  The recipient of GoFundMe will still see the "anonymous donor" information.

MY APOLOGIES TO ALL.   I was trying to help and find a way I could join the livestreams...

Thread locked and will disappear in a couple weeks to avoid future confusion and misinformation...

Again SORRY!

Rom

• Like 2