Papa Sam

Are there new travel restrictions on the horizon?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Are there new travel restrictions to Thailand looming?

• Not sure
    • No, just the opposite: all travel restrictions will be removed soon
    • No, everything stays the same for the foreseeable future
    • Yes, to slow the spread of omicron, LOS will reintroduce quarantine & other restrictions soon
    • Yes, but not before January
    • Yes, but not before the end of the main tourist season

CITING OMICRON, THAILAND HEALTH MINISTER PROPOSES TO REIMPOSE QUARANTINE FOR TOURISTS

Published by Khaosod English -December 20, 2021 10:55 am

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said Monday that he has already informed key officials in the ministry about the possibility of canceling the “Test and Go” scheme:

md-webp

Anutin plans to cancel Test & Go after 63 Omikron encounters:

“At the EOC meeting, the Ministry of Health on Dec. 20 issued a policy to abolish the Test and Go entry system due to the growing epidemic. It will be proposed to the CCC for further consideration," said Anutin according to:

Anutin said the proposal will be made to the government's Covid-19 taskforce "soon", without elaborating further...

HAPPY NEW YEAR...
Edited by Papa Sam
Added video and link
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks @BigTel, so do I. It's too late for me now to cancel rental condo without losing payment. My insurance and ASQ hotel cost are also non-refundable now.

If the Thai Government reimposes a 14 day quarantine I don't think I will be going. I wouldn't want to pay more to stay in solitary confinement for half my trip.

But I'm still optimistic. The last paragraph of that interview suggests any new restrictions would be down to local authorities.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Quietguy said:

If the Thai Government reimposes a 14 day quarantine I don't think I will be going. I wouldn't want to pay more to stay in solitary confinement for half my trip.

It’s unfortunately inevitable, I think. Europe is locking down and Thailand will act accordingly albeit much later. They were about 1 year after the west.

Even a snowflake liberal country like mine been warned new restrictions will be announced  this week for the upcoming holidays. No masks though.

I hope I’m wrong as it’s not the way to go. I’m a bit surprised Netherlands took these harsh measures yesterday.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Papa Sam said:

CITING OMICRON, THAILAND HEALTH MINISTER PROPOSES TO REIMPOSE QUARANTINE FOR TOURISTS

Published by Khaosod English -December 20, 2021 10:55 am

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said Monday that he has already informed key officials in the ministry about the possibility of canceling the “Test and Go” scheme:

md-webp

Anutin plans to cancel Test & Go after 63 Omikron encounters:

“At the EOC meeting, the Ministry of Health on Dec. 20 issued a policy to abolish the Test and Go entry system due to the growing epidemic. It will be proposed to the CCC for further consideration," said Anutin according to:

Anutin said the proposal will be made to the government's Covid-19 taskforce "soon", without elaborating further...

HAPPY NEW YEAR...

Haven't the poli's had a field day with covid. It has given them powers and exposure they never dreamed of. Take a good look at the look on that poli's face. Just one of 

" fuck you lot, you will do what I say".

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Woodie said:

Haven't the poli's had a field day with covid. It has given them powers and exposure they never dreamed of. Take a good look at the look on that poli's face. Just one of 

" fuck you lot, you will do what I say".

Summed up beautifully Q G.  :drinks:

• Like 1

Well this is not good for me!
https://thethaiger.com/news/national/breaking-registration-closes-for-test-go-starting-today
But some can still get in the country:
Travellers registered to enter Thailand under the Test & Go will still be able to enter Thailand under the programme, but no more travellers will be able to register, according to Thai media.
If you arrive before 10 January you'll have to take a second PCR test. But will you have to quarantine between the two PCR tests? I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure.
A bit of conflicting reports out there on this point...

According to Nikkei there's no quarantine:

"Meanwhile, 90,000 people who had already obtained the Travel Pass but not yet arrived will be allowed to enter the country without quarantine. They will be required to take two mandatory RT-PCR tests, the first upon arrival and the second seven days later. They will also be required to report their condition and whereabouts more frequently."

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Omicron-makes-Thailand-cancel-quarantine-free-inbound-travel

• Like 1

Thailand reinstates mandatory COVID-19 quarantine over Omicron concerns

https://www.yahoo.com/news/thailand-reinstates-mandatory-covid-19-083219769.html

(Reuters) - Thailand will reinstate its mandatory COVID-19 quarantine for foreign visitors and scrap a quarantine waiver from Tuesday due to concerns over the spread of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus.

The decision to halt Thailand's "Test and Go" waiver means visitors will have to undergo hotel quarantine, which ranges between 7 to 10 days.

Meanwhile, a so-called "sandbox" programme, which requires visitors to remain in a specific location but allows them free movement outside of their accommodation, will also be suspended in all places except for the tourist resort island of Phuket.

"After Dec. 21, there will be no new registrations for 'Test and Go', only quarantine or Phuket sandbox," said deputy government spokeswoman Rachada Dhanadirek.

The announcement came a day after Thailand reported the first case of local transmission of the Omicron variant.

6a810ce2ea6b54c6765ce7f952b22afd-2.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

COVID alert level remains at 4 (the second highest level). Decision will take place tomorrow, January the 20th.

https://www.naewna.com/local/629712

Pattaya One's headline today could be understood as if T&G (test and go) will resume in February. But I cannot find any confirmation for this on Thai media. Thai PBS for example writes that this matter will be discussed at tomorrow's CCSA meeting

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/resumption-of-test-and-go-registrations-new-covid-measures-to-be-decided-by-ccsa-thursday/

16 minutes ago, BigTel said:

Guys if I am reading this right does this mean now that we would have to make two bookings for a Sha + hotel one for day one and one for day 5 ?

That's how I would interpret it Tel.    My guess is that the price of the Day 5 booking will include the 2nd PCR test just like the Day 1 booking includes the 1st PCR test and transportation.

A friend of mine recently took his second PCR test which was originally supposed to be an ATK test.  He went to the hospital to take the test. It was extremely disorganized and they said they would notify him if he was negative.  But he was unclear exactly how they would notify him.  I suspect that there are many people who arrived with a farang SIM, now have a Thai Sim, changed hotels and are impossible to track down. 

So this would be a way for the hospital to know exactly where you are if you need to be quarantined.  

I suppose things will be clearer in a few days.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

That's how I would interpret it Tel. 

It's such a shame Pdoggg as I was already gearing up to take the plunge and go for the trip then they stopped the test and go and now that they have reintroduced it they have added a double the expense element as I would already be in my place of residence comfortably after day 1 test at the sha + hotel then during day 5 would have to leave my residence to get re booked into a sha+ hotel well I think I know when to call it quits and this as they say " is the straw that broke the camels back "  I have truly had enough .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Fenton said:

Its very close to the hospital on soi buakhao so getting results should be fairly quick.

I would suggest that you email the hotels that you are considering and find out which hospital they are affiliated with.   

It is also possible that the lab is not at the hospital which they are affiliated with.

Also possible that even if the hospital/lab is across the soi from your hotel  that there could be significant delivery delays.

My experience with emailing hotels with these types of questions is that some are quite responsive and will give detailed answers and others won't.

If one has insurance that fully covers asystematic hospital stays that I would want to go to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.  I can put up with a crappy hotel for one night but would not want to spend a week at Banglamung Hospital or Pattaya City Hospital.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Thailand’s Civil Aviation Authority or CAAT sent an urgent notice tonight, January 8th, 2023, to airlines just hours before major changes to vaccine requirements to Thailand, clarifying that unvaccinated travelers or those without their documentation can fly but must take a test on arrival.

This followed this major change in regulations earlier this weekend that blindsided many travelers and has caused widespread confusion and anger online.

The notice was a NoTAM (Notice to Airmen) sent via CAAT to all airlines. As the notice was sent last minute, however, many details and questions remain. There is also the chance that those flying immediately may have issues and would need to address them with their airline.

The notice did not clarify how airlines would communicate to Thai officials that someone needs to test on arrival, what type of test it would be, if it would be at the expense of the traveler, or importantly what happened if someone was positive and if it meant a possible forced expensive quarantine at their expense, even if asymptomatic.

https://thepattayanews.com/2023/01/08/update-thailands-civil-aviation-authority-tells-airlines-unvaccinated-travelers-without-vaccine-documentation-can-fly-but-must-test-on-arrival/