Photography Tips & Recommended Cameras

bumblebee

I took this photo with a point-and-shoot pocket camera in County Meath, Ireland;  my ancestors owned a farm on this property several hundred years ago on Lough Sheelin.  We stayed at a B&B there and I snapped off this photo just before sunset on a lovely summer night, and have had it as my desktop photo ever since. I believe it incorporates one of the elements of Photography 101; 'leading lines.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lough_Sheelin

post-107-0-45226900-1367717046_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Beautiful, BB - may I ask where those were taken?

Surely not on the ol' sod!

And yes, a very good use of leading lines;  I took a few photog classes at Uni many years ago and that was one of the first things our prof taught us.  It leads the viewers eyes deeper into the photograph.while at the same time allowing them to see the larger picture, no pun intended.

My desktop photo looks a lot clearer than what I posted here; despite re-sizing it a few times it still looks so-so but it is one of my favorite pics because it was taken on my ancestor's farm and it takes me back to that lovely country every time I boot up my PC :)

The winter of 2010/'11 was the only one I have spent at home in the last 8 years and it turned out to be one of the coldest also.   I quite enjoyed it mind and kept telling myself there is no such thing as bad weather, just wrong clothes.  It was also the first white Xmas i had ever seen in my 45 years up to that time..  

• 2 months later...

This is the new Sony HX50V recently released which has a 30 x zoom on it...outstanding!

The outgoing HX20V is a decent robust camera and if your quick can be found for less than 200 quid. 

You are correct Petesie, it is a great choice for an all round pocket super zoom camera.  It's amazing that they can fit such a powerful 30 x optical zoom into much a small camera. The video quality is very good, and it also has wifi to upload your photos to your computer and smartphone.

Here is our link to our host site, where members have the choice of amazon.co.uk and amazon.com to purchase amazon goods depending on where you are in the world.

Sony DSCHX50 Compact Digital Camera

• 1 month later...

For those who want almost DSLR quality photos but don't want to carry around a big camera, the Sony DSC-RX100M II  may be just the thing for you.  What makes this camera special is that it has a big sensor, the largest in any point & shoot camera, which means it can record more detail and so produces some great quality photos, especially in low light conditions.

It's not cheap as it has only recently been launched, you can read more about it here.

pcmag

and if you want to go ahead and get yourself one, you can get the best deals here on Amazon.  There is a link for Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk depending on where you live.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II

post-106-0-17498900-1377559948_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-83735300-1377559946_thumb.jpg

For those who want almost DSLR quality photos but don't want to carry around a big camera, the Sony DSC-RX100M II  may be just the thing for you.  What makes this camera special is that it has a big sensor, the largest in any point & shoot camera, which means it can record more detail and so produces some great quality photos, especially in low light conditions.

It's not cheap as it has only recently been launched, you can read more about it here.

pcmag

and if you want to go ahead and get yourself one, you can get the best deals here on Amazon.  There is a link for Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk depending on where you live.

attachicon.gifsony2.jpg

attachicon.gifsony1.jpg

looks great but the 3.6x optical zoom is nowhere near what i need therefore a big dealbreaker

I use the original RX100 and its great.

The Len is effectively a 28mm-100mm, I often shoot with the Sony and a Canon DSLR w/ 70-300 (on a APS-C body, which makes it 100-480mm) . That way I can cover everything.

Quality of the RX100 is top notch, and it does great video also.

I'm not upgrading to Mark 2, but if I was starting from scratch I would get it over the original ($100 more).

pcmag

attachicon.gifsony2.jpg

attachicon.gifsony1.jpg

• Upvote 1

For any of you guys looking for an all in one camera that does both wide angle and amazing zoom, the Canon PowerShot SX50 HS might be worth considering.  

It's got a 50x ultra wide-angle (24-1200mm) optical zoom lens, yes you read that right, and also does  full HD movies (1080p) with optical zoom, stereo sound and HDMI-CEC.

For a full review you can read lots more here. Camera Labs

and Amazon has some of the best prices on this and other cameras.

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS

post-106-0-98037500-1377729956_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-00987300-1377730007_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Panasonic ZS/TZ range of compact cameras have been very popular with users for a few years now. This is the latest in the line, the ZS30 / TZ40.

It has a 20x Optical Leica DC Lens which is 24 mm wide, great for landscapes, Wi-Fi with NFC and 50P Full HD Video Recording. It's also got an 18.1-megapixel High Sensitivity MOS Sensor.

So for anyone heading to the Volleyball competition this one will get you up close and personal. :pic:  :winking0023:

Panasonic ZS30 / TZ40

post-106-0-47411500-1378936597_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-96074000-1378936598_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-44749300-1378936600_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Sony have just announced two new versions of the QX10 & the QX100, the camera modules they released for mobile phones last year  -  the QX30 & the QX1. These clip onto the front of a smart phone & use the LCD as a viewfinder. The QX30 is amazing enough, it has a 20MP sensor with a 24-720mm equivalent optical zoom lens with image stabilisation. With a decent size sensor that blows standard mobile phone pictures out of the water.

But the QX1 is literally a DX format camera without the body. It hosts an ASPC sensor with a lens connector that allows compatible lenses to be attached. This is revolutionary & it remains to be seen if it gets adopted by serious photographers or if it falls into the category of a catchy gimmick. What I love about these modules is they are fully self contained cameras which can be operated independently of a phone, albeit without any viewfinder. Just point it in the right direction & press the shutter. Who would suspect they had just been photographed by a top-of-the-line camera? They also do HD video plus the QX1 even has a pop-up flash.

post-83-0-78000300-1409977917_thumb.jpg

post-83-0-87531900-1409978234_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest JustSumGai

nice, it looks like you don't need to get on a plane for a good view.

I just got a Nikon Coolpix S5300. It has a jillion features, freakin recognizes a smile and takes the pic THEN, stuff like that. Budget but I got tired of hauling around a big camera. It's rated well, but at full size, not as sharp as my old POS camera. But for sure I won't miss anything cuz it's about the size of a cellphone. I do envy you guys for being able to have an tote the big boys.