Photography Tips & Recommended Cameras

bumblebee

What I love about these modules is they are fully self contained cameras which can be operated independently of a phone, albeit without any viewfinder. Just point it in the right direction & press the shutter. Who would suspect they had just been photographed by a top-of-the-line camera?

post-83-0-02900500-1411782431_thumb.jpeg

In a previous post I made the above observation. I was surprised to read an interview with a fellow from Sony's camera department who had this to say about their new camera modules  - 

Ishizuka-san admitted to me that QX is still (unsurprisingly) something of a niche, but people are buying and using them, and they're doing so in refreshingly unexpected ways. According to Mr Ishizuka, contrary to initial expectations, most QX buyers don't tend to attach the modules to their smartphones, but prefer to use them remotely, at arm's length and beyond. Apparently, we're told, the QX cameras are a particular hit among astrophotographers. Suddenly, a product ostensibly designed to coax smartphone users into 'serious' photography has become a new (albeit small for now) market segment all on its own. 

Astrophotography? I can think of other heavenly bodies they can be used to photograph.....         :hi:

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys, if you use Amazon,com or Amazon.UK to buy a camera please help LBR by using  our links as we get a small commission.  Actually if you buy anything from Amazon please use our links.   :biggrin::hi:

There are some excellent Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals right now.

Camera deals from Amazon

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php?/topic/291-great-camera-deals-from-amazon/

Camera Deals From Amazon.UK

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php?/topic/291-great-camera-deals-from-amazon/?p=711

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use a Nikon D810 with mainly Zeiss  glass. This kit is what i shoot landscape with and to be honest your only advantage with this camera in a bar is the  very High iso settings and limited noise. Also shooting with a full frame sensor 24x36  will give you a better or bigger print ratio than a small phone camera sensor. For internet rendition the small phone cams and point shoots are fine. this shot is a 42 meg file reduced for web with an action  which reduces the  NEF File to a Jpeg and sharpens for web.

cheers the flash

Up top of wazzaz valley.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...
On 1/26/2011 at 12:53 AM, bumblebee said:

Ok gents, you have the lady back in the room on a lovely Thai or where ever you are sunny afternoon. You think yeah she would look great posing in the window area or on the balcony while you shoot from inside the room. Everything looks perfect, she is playing up to the camera and you take your shots.

You review them on the monitor of your camera and to your disappointment she appears as just a silhouette. What can you do?

Well the easiest thing to do is force your flash to go off and therefore illuminate the subject. You can use this technique outside in daylight also where the sun is behind the subject.

The lovely Liou was kind enough to assist me in illustrating this point. Guess which one used the flash? lol.

http://www.best-family-photography-tips.com/fill-flash.html

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/using-fill-flash

post-106-036652300 1295999610.jpg

post-106-000932500 1295999624.jpg

Nice pictures!!

Today's cameras thankfully often have HDR capabilities. The subject doesn't appear as a dark silhouette against the bright background (as in the first picture) anymore if you turn on HDR. I rarely use flash.

• 9 months later...
On 1/22/2011 at 1:07 AM, bumblebee said:

Rule of Thirds:

On 1/22/2011 at 6:15 AM, bumblebee said:

Fill the Frame:

Perhaps Portrait techniques are different than Photo techniques but Obama's newly unveiled presidential portrait seems to violate the above rules.  i'm sure the famous artist has his reasons.

obama-portraits-presidents-01-ap-llr-220907_1662574654046_hpMain_16x9_992.jpeg

Here is what Barry looks like after filling the frame:

ob2.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

Perhaps Portrait techniques are different than Photo techniques but Obama's newly unveiled presidential portrait seems to violate the above rules.  i'm sure the famous artist has his reasons.

What the photographer is using in the portrait is Negative Space.  It hasn’t been covered in this thread yet as far as I know.  Here is the explanation of how it works.  Also note how the shadow on the left hand side (his right)  gives a sense of depth and sculptors the subject.

What is negative space photography?

Negative space photography is related to minimalist photography. It emphasizes not just the subject, but the empty space around the subject. The viewer’s eyes may be drawn to a central figure, but they can’t help noticing the large section of emptiness that surrounds and defines that figure. The emptiness (whatever form it takes) gives definition and emphasis to the subject. “If the model or the performer is the noun,” says photographer Jimmy Marble, “the negative space is the adjective.”

“It’s minimalism in photographic form,” says photographer Will Milne. “You have your focal point and very few other elements on the page.” That focal point or main subject is the “positive space,” and the rest of the frame, be it a blank sky or studio white space, is the negative space.”

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

The Photographer is also giving head room in the portrait although at this current time now it is quite normal to see the crop even coming down to top of forehead and hair line.

• Like 2