Bryan Flowers Hunger Strike

Pdoggg

Bryan is the head honcho of the Nitghtwish Group which operate a shitload of bars on Soi 6

Things are tough in the Pattaya bar scene. So much so that one of the town’s leading bar entrepreneurs, Bryan Flowers, who heads up the Night Wish Group, has decided to go on a hunger strike until the situation is resolved. ‘Resolved’ means the bars are open and serving alcohol.

Bryan’s Group started off their pandemic by rolling their sleeves up and getting involved in any number of local initiatives to help out-of-work staff get themselves sorted, or at least fed. But things went from bad to worse as it became clear to Bryan that the short-term ‘bandaid’ approach wasn’t going to be sustainable as the pandemic, and the Thai government response, kept Pattaya’s bars quiet.

We spoke to Bryan as he embarks on this deadly serious protest. Will this dramatic protest have any effect? Bryan is posting his ‘mood of the meeting’ daily on his Facebook page. His main issue, and that of many other bar and entertainment venue owners in the party town, is that the government and authorities have been giving too many postponed re-start dates and a sense of false hope.

“From what I have been told, December 1 is the day we are “definitely” going to be open. But it’s simply too long, especially as so many businesses are already open and those people are attempting to rebuild their lives and incomes again after this long period of closures. Why not us?”

Chon Buri, and therefore Pattaya, have been under the cloud of Dark Red, and now Red, Covid zoning which prevents bars from reopening or alcohol being served.

So will other operators get behind Bryan and follow his lead with the rest of November ahead for the fasting protest?

“No one has contacted me about joining in, I wouldn’t like to ask, for those without fasting experience it probably seems a bit crazy. I consider fasting healthy if done properly and with simple monitoring. However, plenty of people have been negative about my stand online, saying that it will make no difference.”

“Alone I don’t expect to make much of a difference, but if the landlords hounding us for rents understand how serious the problems are, then I hope to have made some small difference. I have had no income for almost two years, I am completely fed up with it all! We have been closed for seven months straight in this last round.”

If we’re reading the current tea leaves correctly, Bryan’s prediction of a December 1 reopening seems likely, although nothing has been announced officially at this stage. How would a December 1 re-opening pan out? And how many of Pattaya’s closed bars will actually open?

“We will be very busy to start with as we will open faster than most. Many bars will be slow to open, which is probably safer for them as more potential customers arrive. I think they will all reopen over time, but I think many bar owners have left this town or the country altogether and they might wait until they feel it is safe to open.”

“As soon as we open, all the landlords will have their hands out immediately with rents and key money likely to be back to the full amount. Opening the bars for me isn’t the end of the race, it’s just the start of the next fight.

Bryan has been a leading figure in the campaign to get Pattaya’s bars open again. He’s also led the way with changing up the old business model to try and make ends meet during the crisis.

“I am active on YouTube and I am in touch with customers regularly. I have no doubt that our bars will financially break-even very quickly. I am not sure about some of the gogo bars which rely on mostly Asian customers.”

“Our industry is different from the others, it will recover faster, I am not sure about mainstream travellers and tourism, it could take a while.”

In the meantime, Bryan’s patience has worn thin and forced him into this drastic action.

“We were told October, then November, now I am told its December 1. At the same time we have yet another landlord threatening us with a large amount of key money or they won’t renew the contract.”

“I simply feel helpless at this point, so I felt going on this fast was the best way of expressing myself without causing problems for or hurting people around me.”

“I wanted to use this negative energy and turn it into a positive, I feel sick with anxiety often, waiting for the next problem. We have a landlord making huge demands right now again and we have been told we can open on the 1st of December.”

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/pattaya-bar-owner-goes-on-hunger-strike-over-government-diddling-and-re-opening-fiasco

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I can well see why He has been driven to this, there was a comment I made early on stating that I thought this was the perfect opportunity for the powers to be to shut down the scene in Pattaya and I reckon they have certainly made a dam good go at is so far.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Things are tough in the Pattaya bar scene. So much so that one of the town’s leading bar entrepreneurs, Bryan Flowers, who heads up the Night Wish Group, has decided to go on a hunger strike until the situation is resolved. ‘Resolved’ means the bars are open and serving alcohol.

excellent idea.

lets hope the bars are closed until next July then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fenton said:

Problem solved. We are not the only country with a shortage of drivers Seven.

:good:

The good thing about the 'ignore' button function is that I don't have to read the drivel from Pattaya's No 1 Balloon Chaser or the Forum' No 1 Brit Basher anymore, unfortunately however if someone does reply to one of their posts then I do get to see it :( (e.g. the post above), I still see the saddo just can't help himself with all things UK. :crazy:

@Rom, I don't have you on ignore ( not yet anyway :wink:), and I don't get this idea that you think I am a Moderater??? :wacko:

IMG_20211109_094155.jpg

Now back on Topic, I don't know how far Bryan thinks he will get with the authorities in question, time will tell I guess. 

• Like 1

I've watched (parts of) the Q&A video to see how BF is coping with his fasting...

Was surprised when he demonstrated that there's a way to send money directly on YouTube during live streams / live chats...

This YT function is called Super Chat I believe.

I think that's a cool feature!

One issue I have with Facebook live streams is that if you want to send money to someone, say to Emmy's bar, you first have to open another browser window and go to your PayPal account and then either manually enter or copy-paste the Paypal address of the recipient which is hopefully mentioned in the Facebook live stream post...

This is not very user friendly imo and the problem if you only have a private PayPal account - and not a business account - is that your real name will be revealed to someone you perhaps don't even know personally and you don't know what happens with this sensitive account information over time...

Alternatively one could transfer money via MoneyGram or Western Union, but that's also not that user friendly I think...

With Super Chat you just click on the money symbol, enter the amount you want to give to the YouTuber, enter the credit card details and click on the send button. I don't think that the credit card details will be revealed to the recipient, will they?

If you're using a fake Google/YouTube account you can still send money with your real credit card, right?

Has anyone ever tried or used YouTube Super Chat to send money to the bars / girls? What was your experience?

Why are not more bars using YouTube instead of Facebook for their live streams? Everyone can use YouTube - but not everyone is on Facebook. On both social media sites nudity is a no-go, I therefore cannot see much of a difference here ...

Interesting that the NW group has to pay key money to the landlords every three years. I thought they owned all the bars on Soi 6?

Also interesting to me is that the NW group is much more open about who they are and what they are doing compared to some other bar groups, such as for example the big big bar group in Bangkok.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fenton said:

Things are not looking good.

received_435005584927218.jpeg

No, not really...:sad0116:

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/thailand-to-consider-keeping-bars-clubs-closed-through-new-year-378789

Apparently BF talked about this briefly already in his live stream yesterday...

From the BH:

"Those who aren’t paying off crooked cops – such as the many straight-up watering holes on lower Sukhumvit Road and Khao San Road – remain closed. The same is true for nightclubs. Big nightspots in the RCA area or on Soi 11 continue to be shut down while Thai clubs paying bribes or owned by police are back to normal, such as Top One in the Rachada area, which has bottle service, live bands and discos lights going nightly. While nearly every other business owner is again earning coin – even if they have to pay off the cops to do it – law-abiding bar owners are now being chastised by the former general in charge for being “selfish” for wanting to reopen legally." :sad:

https://bangkokherald.com/living/entertainment/thailands-bars-clubs-to-stay-closed-until-2022-under-proposal-to-ccsa/

TopOne Club...:

253164647_10226051988196675_227795397459

... a restaurant??

252771972_3075177142759211_7163189474453

Pic above from a soundcheck 4 days ago posted by a VJ working for TOPONE Club...

Edited by Papa Sam
  • Like 1

BF and AJ from the Pattaya News discussed the rumors about postponing the reopening of bars until 2022 in their Q&A session yesterday.

Appears that the source where the rumors originated is just a small and perhaps even obscure news outlet. It's also a bit unclear what weight the proposal to postpone the reopening of bars will really have at the CCSA meeting tomorrow (or today?).

I think we'll have to wait and see what happens at the next CCSA meeting. Until then everything is just speculation... 

BTW: BF has lost half a kg of body fat so far...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Papa Sam said:

I've watched (parts of) the Q&A video to see how BF is coping with his fasting...

Was surprised when he demonstrated that there's a way to send money directly on YouTube during live streams / live chats...

This YT function is called Super Chat I believe.

I think that's a cool feature!

One issue I have with Facebook live streams is that if you want to send money to someone, say to Emmy's bar, you first have to open another browser window and go to your PayPal account and then either manually enter or copy-paste the Paypal address of the recipient which is hopefully mentioned in the Facebook live stream post...

This is not very user friendly imo and the problem if you only have a private PayPal account - and not a business account - is that your real name will be revealed to someone you perhaps don't even know personally and you don't know what happens with this sensitive account information over time...

Alternatively one could transfer money via MoneyGram or Western Union, but that's also not that user friendly I think...

With Super Chat you just click on the money symbol, enter the amount you want to give to the YouTuber, enter the credit card details and click on the send button. I don't think that the credit card details will be revealed to the recipient, will they?

If you're using a fake Google/YouTube account you can still send money with your real credit card, right?

Has anyone ever tried or used YouTube Super Chat to send money to the bars / girls? What was your experience?

Why are not more bars using YouTube instead of Facebook for their live streams? Everyone can use YouTube - but not everyone is on Facebook. On both social media sites nudity is a no-go, I therefore cannot see much of a difference here ...

Interesting that the NW group has to pay key money to the landlords every three years. I thought they owned all the bars on Soi 6?

Also interesting to me is that the NW group is much more open about who they are and what they are doing compared to some other bar groups, such as for example the big big bar group in Bangkok.

Regarding the girls shown on the cover page of the video. Out of the 13 girls shown, I can only pick out two that I find at all good looking!. It would not be that ratio if showing a LB bar I am sure. I wonder why that should be?.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Papa Sam said:

BTW: BF has lost half a kg of body fat so far...

41 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Regarding the girls shown on the cover page of the video. Out of the 13 girls shown, I can only pick out two that I find at all good looking!.

totally agree Woodie.

Papa Sam..don't worry about giving us a regular weight loss update..  just let us know when the publicity seeking egotistical self-promoting conman croaks.

• Like 5

1981 Robert Gerard Sands (Bobby Sands) died on hunger strike while imprisoned at prison maze in Belfast. Although British people found hios struggle controversial, he had protested against violence of protestants in Northern Ireland against the catholic minority and eventually against the change in his prisonner status. 

2021 : a British pimp  started a hunger strike to claim for his right to exploit girls and ladyboys from low income Thai regions and make money managing people like money machines. 

On 11/9/2021 at 11:54 AM, Fenton said:

Yes I don't understand this also. Sweden under the magnifying glass is far from perfect 555.

Of course, nothing can be perfect in this world as soon as you leave England. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 11/11/2021 at 8:05 PM, Fenton said:

That's a diverse range of Hungers strikers.

Nothing is far from perfect in the UK, but we carry on.

And of course everything is fine and dandy in France. 

Foreigners bashing is the sport of the British whose culture is restricted to reading tabloids.

It is appaling to see that some are tryong to impose the style of the PY clique here : almost 600 posts and not even an attempt to share original information on ladyboys, bring something new or value the ladyboys scene.

Good luck for your waiting for Pattaya's reopening man.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pubs and bars must hurry to register for the assessment by the CCSA on Friday November 26th

writes Channel 7 today (using Google translate) they write:

This week is an important week in terms of the number of infections, the death numbers as well as the numbers of (c19 positive?) tourists coming into Thailand.

On November 26th (this Friday) there will be a BIG meeting with the PM. 

1,443 pubs, bars and karaoke places have been registered so far. The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration conducted a preliminary survey of 975 places. Ready to open are 225 locations that comply with standards!

That's 23% of the bars that have been inspected already but only 16% of the bars that have been registered so far ...

Entrepreneurs who have not registered with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration are requested to hurry to register!

I hope Mr Flowers and all the other bar owners have meanwhile properly registered their bars or will do so ASAP!

619b49df97a909.00674172.jpg

When bars reopen, people are asked to "watch out if they find an establishment that violates the rules", writes Channel 7 in a different story.

https://news.ch7.com/detail/531217

https://www.topnews.co.th/news/167525

https://news.ch7.com/detail/531276

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/451656866452643

260206949_451656119786051_87812102137875

Edited by Papa Sam
Added another source
  • Like 1