The new terminal @ Suvarnabhumi airport.

Fenton

not fond of the new sculptures being mostly metal with no color and on the modern side.  I love that colorful old style Thai stuff.  Lets me really know where I am when I deplane :)

good on them for thinking out the heat loss probs.  I miss the old BLUE LIGHT airport look but hell, all glass roofing must have KILLED them on the electric bill for cooling during the daytime.

• Like 1

have not seen it in over 10 yrs. My first trips from 2007 on one could see this great deep blue glow from the air, miles away and know you were THERE!  I suspect that if the blue light got OUT, the sunlight was getting IN and playing hell with trying to keep the place cool during the day.  There is some blue light here and there but the lights high up that one used to see are pretty much history.  Thesses are shots I took in Sept. 2009 and you can clearly see the roof was clear glass, which is how we got the lovely blue glow welcoming us.  I've asked workers a number of times about the less blue effect and they give me a puzzled look, obviously to new to remember the original look.  As I recall there is now some kind of sun screen on that clear glass roof, blocking light getting in OR out.

1803191018_1stweek00b.jpg.d448ea26e7d3ffaef4e8a0c143460f7e.jpg1143964674_1stweek00d.jpg.8ef993924b5534ea4114804c786f0ad1.jpg1702903494_1stweek00c.jpg.8390ffb9c51352874adbe3f615729189.jpg

these are shots I took in Sept. 2009...1684563200_1stweek000a.jpg.ca08b74766c1f68485a71b990c278340.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

have not seen it in over 10 yrs.

Used it last year and it was still there : )

one could see this great deep blue glow from the air, miles away and know you were THERE!

One of the best feelings ever, at least in second part of my life when I started traveling to Thailand.

I have been thinking of getting a poster of it to hang on the wall to complete my urge and dreaming of return, along with ladyboy pics/movies on the www. I've stashed away all the tacky souvenir crap I just had to buy the first few trips. Buddha statues, pendants, paintings etc.

the lovely blue glow welcoming us. 

Approaching this blue spaceship in a taxi at night leading up to your departure made it a little less depressing. Thanks for the photos. Love Swampy.

• Like 1

2016 photos I took show a white glass roof, looks like they painted it over with white. I have missed seeing the blue glow for most of my trips since before then. I mean it was LIT UP BLUE in the first few trips, but now for many years I can't even spot any blue from the air on approach.  I actually stopped looking really.

DSCN5054.JPG

DSCN5056.JPGyou can see how BRIGHT the day is on the side windows, then look at the ceiling above.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JustSumGai said:

I have missed seeing the blue glow for most of my trips since before then.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure it was lit blue when I arrived at 9 pm for my departure flight last year. Or I already had the blues.

4 hours ago, seven said:

One of the best feelings ever

As my China Air pane stopped at the gate at Don Meuang, they would play some upbeat music that would pump me up after numerous catnaps on the 24 hour trip.  As I deplaned I was hit by a rush a warm air as I entered the terminal on the mechanical ramp.  I would associate this heat with the sexual freedom awaiting for me in the next two weeks.  What a feeling! 

• Like 1