Grunts Irish music Hootenanny

blind boy grunt

well it was released by the Band in '67.. earlier releases by Johnny Cash and Joan Baez and others. The song was written in the late 50's- early 60s. No doubt Malcolm Price heard it from one of those.

are you still getting Royalties...........? If i find your version on youtube Mr Quinn... watch this space.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is a cowboy song! Not Irish but as near as many others posted here. ! I first learned it and played it many years ago at our local pub sessions. It's called 'Billy Grey' or sometimes - 'True Love Knows no Seasons' - but Norman Blake (a great American Flatpicker) who wrote titled it Billy Grey ! However now for the Irish bit - this version is by Planxty.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Quinn said:

I downloaded this a couple of years ago on my choice in Emmy's bar. Pay attention. ! Also posted it on the previous page! Do try and keep up !

oh, you can be a grumpy ol' Errol sometimes... what's wrong wiv ya? going through bad times in divorce number 14?

i can understand how the past affected you, but remember that where you came from [ just after the war years] was very isolated back then.  It was, i am told,  very common that boys were married 3 times at least before they were 15, especially if they had younger sisters. You shouldn't concern yourself now Quinn, it was just how it was. And, remember that you had three lovely kids although, i admit it must have been a little disconcerting because they didn't know whether to call you dad or uncle.

don't be a grumpy-pumpy then...  You'll be buying an Iphone next!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Quinn said:

But at least there is nothing wrong with my memory ! 55555

P.S. Tell Emmy to get a restaurant licence quick !

yup..know what you are talking about but unless they change rules re licencing it ain't so easy. she tried in the old Emmy bar after moving from Katty.

i guess she could make the planned S/T- BJ room into a kitchen, which would help..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one Soju - good to hear. Pondered what to reply with and settled on this' Not an Irish song but a Traditional English ballad. This is by Nic Jones- a great musician and performer - or at least he was. Heading back home (1982) after a gig - his car ploughed into the side of an emerging lorry. He suffered serious injuries, including many broken bones and brain damage, and required intensive care treatment and hospitalisation for a total of eight months. His injuries left him with permanent physical co-ordination problems, unable to play the guitar as well as before, and no longer able to play the fiddle at all. The accident effectively ended his career as a touring and recording professional musician. He did sing at a couple of festivals a few years ago supported by his son on guitar. Back to the song "Canada-I-O". As Bert Jansch - he uses 'open tuning'- in a baroque style. This song was later recorded by Dylan who also copyrighted it (nothing wrong with that - quite usual with many musicians) but many consider he used Jones arrangement (not for the best IMHO). Various stories emerged that Dylan should have 'coughed up a bob (!) or two' - also that His Bobness could not find any similarity between the two versions. ! Here's Nic Jones - Listen to Bob's if you must !

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

you Irish should be so proud of these guys. Another from Clancy and Makem. Written by Tommy Makem, and a fine song it is, which says far more than the words at first hearing. The four green fields are the provinces, the one in bondage is Ulster. The strangers of course, the 18th century English invaders.

What do I have, said the fine old woman 

What do I have, this proud old woman did say 

I have four green fields, each one was a jewel 

But strangers came and tried to take them from me 

I have fine strong sons, who fought to save my jewels 

They fought and they died, and that was my grief said she 

Long time ago, said the fine old woman 

Long time ago, this proud old woman did say 

There was war and death, plundering and pillage 

My children starved, by mountain, valley and sea 

And their wailing cries, they shook the very heavens 

My four green fields ran red with their blood, said she 

What have I now, said the fine old woman  What have I now, this proud old woman did say 

I have four green fields, one of them's in bondage 

In stranger's hands, that tried to take it from me 

But my sons had sons, as brave as were their fathers 

My fourth green field will bloom once again said she

• Like 1